Italian or Japanese...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All...

I'm in the mood for a 1892 and a 1873. NO...NOT for cowboy action shooting but to just plink around with.

In the past I had a Uberti Yellow Boy(1886) and an iron frame Henry....the Henry was rather unique with the way you top loaded it and moved your left hand(holding the bullet carrier)and the spring tag moved down as the bullets were shot.

Anyways...

Miroku Winchester:
The only experience I have ever had was when my dad purchased an 1895 Winchester from Fred Baker's Firearms sometime back in the 1990's. Fit and finish were great and it shot well.

What I've been looking at is the Miroko Winchester 1892 Carbine and the 1873 Carbine. I know the Win 1892 has a safety on the tang just below the hammer and the 1873 is original.

Give me all the Pro and Con on these Japanese made guns When I handle them in the store and see youtube reviews they seem like a nice gun.

[Broken External Image]

www.winchesterguns.com_content_dam_winchester_repeating_arms_p00654fef2df2c5fb3666e620662dcb94.jpg

www.winchesterguns.com_content_dam_winchester_repeating_arms_p105a40f8ddf95836ad061dd61136baa3.jpg

I just may have to get a Miroku Win 1895 also!!!
www.winchesterguns.com_content_dam_winchester_repeating_arms_pbc4ae487a51f2504773617b0ed2a5e36.jpeg

The Italian Guns are next...I'm posting twice so I won't overload my original post with pictures.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Italian 1892 and 1873....any thoughts on these guns as compared to the Japanese Winchester? Japanese Winchester hold any advantage with it's name..."Winchester"?? I've heard parts for the Winchester are very hard to obtain and of course the Italian guns have NUMEROUS parts and people who can work on them.

Italian Guns:
AS612-1892SR-20-45LC-lt.jpg

1873-trapper-rifle.png

So....give me the "lowdown" on these gun makers....Italian or Japanese???

Thanks!!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Italian guns are considerably less money than the Winchesters, if that is an issue, but I'd bet you already knew that. Uberti makes good rifles, but they will probably need some extra action smoothing. You can also have short stroke kits put in them, some shorten the lever throw to the point you can keep your hand on the receiver and work the action with just your fingers. I think short strokes are becoming available for the Winchesters also. Short strokes are just for the '73, you can't short stroke a '92.
Personally I favor the '92 over the '73, lighter weight and just super handy to carry around in the woods, plus the action is a lot stronger if you had a hankerin' to soup up your loads a bit. Downside to the '92 is the action is more complicated, with a lot of little bitty parts. Plenty of good info on taking them down and smoothing them out there on the web though.
If budget is not a problem, then definitely go with the Winchesters.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Miroku made Winchester’s. The fit and finish on them are really spectacular! I like the 1892 and as you already noted it is a nearly perfect design, minus that darned safety. Just be sure to handle, cycle the actions and inspect the prospective firearms. But for me, I like the Winchester.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Browning 92 is a Miroku product. The Miroku made Winchester/Brownings are extremely well made guns. I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom