It's Happening!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath_(film)
The Grapes of Wrath is a 1940 American drama film directed by John Ford. It was based on John Steinbeck's 1939 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name. The screenplay was written by Nunnally Johnson and the executive producer was Darryl F. Zanuck.[3]

The Grapes of Wrath

Theatrical release poster
Directed by John Ford
Produced by
Screenplay by Nunnally Johnson
Based on The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
Starring
Music by Alfred Newman
Cinematography Gregg Toland
Edited by Robert L. Simpson
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Release date
  • January 24, 1940 (United States)
Running time
129 minutes
Country United States
Language English
Budget $800,000[1]
Box office $1,591,000 (rentals)[2]
The film tells the story of the Joads, an Oklahoma family, who, after losing their farm during the Great Depression in the 1930s, become migrant workers and end up in California. The motion picture details their arduous journey across the United States as they travel to California in search of work and opportunities for the family members, and features cinematography by Gregg Toland.

The film is widely considered to be one of the greatest films of all time. In 1989, it was one of the first 25 films selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath_(film)
The Grapes of Wrath is a 1940 American drama film directed by John Ford. It was based on John Steinbeck's 1939 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name. The screenplay was written by Nunnally Johnson and the executive producer was Darryl F. Zanuck.[3]

The Grapes of Wrath

Theatrical release poster
Directed by John Ford
Produced by
Screenplay by Nunnally Johnson
Based on The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
Starring
Music by Alfred Newman
Cinematography Gregg Toland
Edited by Robert L. Simpson
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Release date
  • January 24, 1940 (United States)
Running time
129 minutes
Country United States
Language English
Budget $800,000[1]
Box office $1,591,000 (rentals)[2]
The film tells the story of the Joads, an Oklahoma family, who, after losing their farm during the Great Depression in the 1930s, become migrant workers and end up in California. The motion picture details their arduous journey across the United States as they travel to California in search of work and opportunities for the family members, and features cinematography by Gregg Toland.

The film is widely considered to be one of the greatest films of all time. In 1989, it was one of the first 25 films selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"

Great video. It's been years since watching it. I think it needs a visit by every American by law to see how tough their ancestors were and how much they did to keep the family unit in place. Some of these snowflakes might get a wake up call.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great grandparents on my moms side moved to the Seattle Washington area during the dust bowl days to work in the apple orchards there as well as the fishing industry finally moving back to the Newkirk area where they had land. My grandparents on the same side moved back to that area during WWII to work in the aircraft industry to support the war, again moving back to the Newkirk area to run the farm.

family-walking-through-storm.jpg

Not sure about the other two photographs, but this one is definitely one taken in the Boise City area of Cimarron County. I can't imagine the courage required to stay in such desolate places to eke out a living. Many of these same people were also the ones who fought in WWII, so they survived the Depression, the Dust Bowl, and the War.

Even in the time of my youth, very few farmers, if any, had their own welders. So, if an implement needed repair, the parts were taken off and taken into our local blacksmith/welder. I remember being in his shop one day and noticing his wooden leg. (One of his sons was a classmate of mine.) He took time from the work to sit down and explain how war cost him that leg, but that it was necessary to restore freedom to those that had lost it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, forgot what post i did but thought I'd put it here. Did a 900 mile round trip from Socal to Norther Nevada on Saturday to pick up our new Haulmark 24' Cargo Trailer. Was a long day of driving but did the round trip in about 17 hours with a fair amount of traffic on the way home. This is what will move all of our gear to OK. One step closer!!

IMG_3665.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3675.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, with that big ol truck, you're really gonna enjoy the fuel prices we keep complaining about in Oklahoma. 93 octane was $3:69 in Memphis today. I can't imagine how much it costs to fill the megacab in Cali

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, with that big ol truck, you're really gonna enjoy the fuel prices we keep complaining about in Oklahoma. 93 octane was $3:69 in Memphis today. I can't imagine how much it costs to fill the megacab in Cali

I only use Arco fuel/gas stations out here becasue they tend to be about 45-60 cents cheaper per gallon than the others. Still, if i run my Ram down to about "0 miles to empty" it still has about 5 gallons left which means it will still take about 26+ gallons. At about $3.80/gallon I'm pushing about $100 per tank. Luckily i have a company truck as a daily driver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom