It's on!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Awesome. I am looking forward to dealing the sickness, I mean introducing a lot of you to the game. I use a 3 point sling and at most matches, you can run muzzle down or up, as long as you are safe. I also took out the line that said dropping an unloaded firearm is a DQ. I figure you are going to be upset enough at the new marks in your gun finish, you might as well stay and shoot! :)

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like this 3gun you will want to shoot the HIGH PLAINS SHOTGUN CHAMPIONSHIP that willbe shot at OKCGC in March, 12-14 stages of pure shot gun w/slugs buckshot and birdshot.
Trapper Swanson and Kurt puts it on and it is evil,wicked,mean and nasty and about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the addiction. :hyper:

I shot my first match 3 weeks ago in Arkansas. I now have 2 Benellis (M1 & M2), 1 Firebird Precision Uppered AR, a JP Rifles CTR-02 on order. I am seriously looking for a Benelli Nova to try Heavy Metal, I just bought a 1911 last night so I can try Heavy Metal. Come to think of it anyone have an AR10 for sale? :gun1:

So you want to shoot HEAVY METAL w/an AR10 JAMAMATIC that holds 20 rounds and has a hard time running 10 rounds before it jams,or something,and to get it to run that good you have to pour a quart of oil in it and that is at a buck a round if you can find it to buy,thats the only reason I don't shoot heavy metal,that and I don't have a Springfeild M1A
Before making this mistake talk to Kurt or Tapper

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your brother just called and he definately wants to come.

Your right, he did just call, but the 18th is too soon for him. He just joined a Cowboy Action club in MO, We are quite different when it comes to guns.

Ok, here it is, this is my commitment, I'll be there. You'll know who I am, I'll be the really quiet guy that looks like he is alway in a bad mood.

I would love it if I could try someone semi-auto SG, I'll bring my pump just in case. I don't know why I bought a pump, it just requires more energy than I'm willing to provide at times.

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your right, he did just call, but the 18th is too soon for him. He just joined a Cowboy Action club in MO, We are quite different when it comes to guns.

Ok, here it is, this is my commitment, I'll be there. You'll know who I am, I'll be the really quiet guy that looks like he is alway in a bad mood.

I would love it if I could try someone semi-auto SG, I'll bring my pump just in case. I don't know why I bought a pump, it just requires more energy than I'm willing to provide at times.

There will be plenty for you to use

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
If you do not feel comfortable with the safety policies, this might not be for you.
Ok Mike, let me say this again before I go on.....I am willing to adhere to the range safety precautions.......there's no need to tell me not to come just because I have some questions about safety, at a range I've never been to, in a competition I've never competed in, with a bunch of guys I don't know. I make a living being uncomfortable, so if I didn't do something just because I was uncomfortable with it, I probably would get fired .C'mon, I'm only putting my concerns at ease here. When you've been shot at and blown up, and seen operators injured due to NDs, you become vigilant about muzzle awareness.

The policy is that it is pointed straight up, so how would that be pointed at someone's head?

For one, I think I read (maybe I misunderstood) someone talking about using a cart to tote their guns around. I got that the action should be open, a range safety should have checked it, but I'm not going to be standing there when all that happens, so I don't know when the guy with the cart leans his cart back and sweeps someone or me, that it is unloaded.

I'm also guessing that when we are not on the stages, that weapons are carried the same way, muzzle up. Again, are we all to trust everyone that they are clear?

what might else would you suggest to ensure the firearm is safe

Muzzles pointed at the ground, not in the air. I hate guns rested on shoulders with muzzle up because you can't really have positive muzzle awareness if you can't see your muzzle.(just my "suggestion") But again, I will do as the range rules dictate; just answering your question here.

Sorry about being so blunt, but you sort of struck a nerve by implying we were going to let people wave their loaded guns around while yelling yee-haw and discharging recklessly.

I just want to make sure that you don't think I am sharpshooting you. I would never believe that any range would "let" people be unsafe, but you know as well as I do that you can't watch everyone, all of the time; it only takes one. I'm a firearms instructor and range safety myself, and I'm just pulling from my own experiences.

I've seen people shot in the head, with an "unloaded" gun that was point "up".
I've also seen someone shot in the foot with an "unloaded" weapon that was pointed at the ground.
Worst case scenario, I would take the latter if I had to choose; and when I run ranges, that's what I choose.

Thanks for the feedback, don't take this as bantering, please. I'm always one to take advice on how I can make things safer around firearms. No matter what the rules are, at a range I go to, I follow them to a "T" no matter what they are.

I'm still coming to shoot, and I sure do hope that this doesn't hinder anyone's willingness to help me out while I'm there.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No worries. Just wanted to clarify. Muzzles on long guns pointed at the ground are actually less safe. Two reasons for that. The ground will not absorb a rifle round, but will deflect it. The second is that we have racks located at each bay for placement of long guns. Since racking a long gun means having the buttstock down, at some point that muzzle will have to travel 180 degrees to rack. This means the chance of being swept is far greater.

I certainly want you out there. In fact I will even get you a cold one after the match! I just want to make certain that everyone feels comfortable an that all worry is dispelled prior to the match.
As far as the carts go, they have atv like holders on the sides that keep the firearm pointed down. Check them out at ruggedcart.

We'll see you out there. If anyone that is a member of the club wants to head out to the ipsc range Sunday morning for a bit of practice, Curly and I will be there for sure. About 8 ish.

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok Mike, let me say this again before I go on.....I am willing to adhere to the range safety precautions.......there's no need to tell me not to come just because I have some questions about safety, at a range I've never been to, in a competition I've never competed in, with a bunch of guys I don't know. I make a living being uncomfortable, so if I didn't do something just because I was uncomfortable with it, I probably would get fired .C'mon, I'm only putting my concerns at ease here. When you've been shot at and blown up, and seen operators injured due to NDs, you become vigilant about muzzle awareness.

For one, I think I read (maybe I misunderstood) someone talking about using a cart to tote their guns around. I got that the action should be open, a range safety should have checked it, but I'm not going to be standing there when all that happens, so I don't know when the guy with the cart leans his cart back and sweeps someone or me, that it is unloaded.

I'm also guessing that when we are not on the stages, that weapons are carried the same way, muzzle up. Again, are we all to trust everyone that they are clear?

Muzzles pointed at the ground, not in the air. I hate guns rested on shoulders with muzzle up because you can't really have positive muzzle awareness if you can't see your muzzle.(just my "suggestion") But again, I will do as the range rules dictate; just answering your question here.

I just want to make sure that you don't think I am sharpshooting you. I would never believe that any range would "let" people be unsafe, but you know as well as I do that you can't watch everyone, all of the time; it only takes one. I'm a firearms instructor and range safety myself, and I'm just pulling from my own experiences.

I've seen people shot in the head, with an "unloaded" gun that was point "up".
I've also seen someone shot in the foot with an "unloaded" weapon that was pointed at the ground.
Worst case scenario, I would take the latter if I had to choose; and when I run ranges, that's what I choose.

Thanks for the feedback, don't take this as bantering, please. I'm always one to take advice on how I can make things safer around firearms. No matter what the rules are, at a range I go to, I follow them to a "T" no matter what they are.

I'm still coming to shoot, and I sure do hope that this doesn't hinder anyone's willingness to help me out while I'm there.

Please understand that in our world so to speak muzzle up to us is rifle cleared chamber open all is safe,pistol holstered hammer down ,no magazine all is safe,shotgun same as rifle.As far as the carts go they are specifically desighned for this particular game,only muzzle is down in a secured rack on cart.When itis your turn to shoot you will have a range officer with a timer and an assistant range officer making absolutly sure everything you do is safe from the time you step up to the starting line until the command of ,IF YOU ARE FINISHED,UNLOAD AND SHOW ME CLEAR,THEN HE WILL ANNOUNCE RANGE IS SAFE.The only worry here is the goats pulling the cart or the ass pushing it. As far as your questions,an old girlfreind of mine once said if you don't ask you don't know,boy the qustioned I started asking and the answer/demonstration I started receiving!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom