It's on!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if someone "forgets" to clear the weapon properly and the weapon discharges while it is pointing "up" at someone's head?

The RO for each stage makes sure weapons are clear by both visually checking the chamber and by dry firing the weapon into the berm before any weapon leaves the firing line. It's not very hard to make sure weapons are clear because only one shooter is touching his weapon(s) at a time while the shooting is going on in a stage.
Of course like an idiot someone could always load their weapon off the firing line between stages when they are not supposed to. Unfortunately there is no way to police this type of stupidity as we can't carry everyones guns between stages or to and from vehicles for them. People have to be responsible for their own actions to some degree. If you or anyone sees someone messing with a gun and ammo at the same time off the firing line or if they continue to sweep people with an unloaded weapon make sure to set them straight and/or notify the RO so that that person can be asked to correct his/her actions or be asked to leave.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this type of competition, how are the long guns stored until they are used on the firing line? Hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. The rules on the OKCgunclub site list all of that out. They can be bagged between stages or carried muzzle up and chamber open. Muzzle up and empty, open chamber when heading to the line (except on stages where the RO authorizes pre-load, then it is safety on and chamber empty and closed). We will take care of all the new folks and explain things and keep you all out of trouble..

Mike

I think both Mike and I misunderstood the question. You were asking about storage during the stage when you are not shooting rather than transportation between stages. I believe we will have gun racks at each bay to set all of the guns in when they are not being used. Once you finish your course of fire you may rebag and holster your guns or put your guns back in yoru cart/buggy so as to make them clear and secured.

Correct me if I am wrong here Mike.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For one, I think I read (maybe I misunderstood) someone talking about using a cart to tote their guns around. I got that the action should be open, a range safety should have checked it, but I'm not going to be standing there when all that happens, so I don't know when the guy with the cart leans his cart back and sweeps someone or me, that it is unloaded.

If my guns are in my cart the only chance of getting my muzzles pointed at someone is if that someone is lying on the ground and I run them over. Of course you could walk in front of my cart and stick your toes under the muzzles but that would be your own wrong doing.

In my wagon the guns will be vertical or at most tilted back form vertical 10° so to get the muzzle pointed at your head you would have to make a point of putting your head over the gun to look down the barrel.

You should have no problems feeling safe at this or any match at OKC Gun Club. There are intellegent people running these matches and there are good safety measures in place to eliminate unsafe firearms handling. It sounds like you yourself could help provide a safe shooting environment or improve upon an already safer shooting environment so it would be good to have you there.

Come on out and have a good time.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
Thanks for all the proffessional feedback.

I keep having to remind myself (as one of my peers at work did this morning) that the civilian shooting world is totally different than the military shooting world, especially during a time when we are at war.

My buddy reminded me that we train with weapons at the modified low ready, muzzle down in a safe direction, and self clearing becuase in combat, there are no safeties, there's no "down range" and bullets that go up, have to come down because that's how we fight.

The difference at a civilian event is that the endstate is everyone leaving safely and have no negligent discharges. While we have the same endstate, we also are charged with producing effective combat soldiers that know how to think about what they are doing when they have a hot weapon in their hand, not just follow the range boss.

At some ranges, we have even begun to carry a hot weapon until you actually leave the firing line. We have manuever live fire ranges where students are banging around the woods with hot weapons and shooting live ammo. To some it sounds unsafe, but I'm not willing to drop someone into a combat zone unless they know the intricacies of how to properly handle, shoot, and conduct maintenance on their weapon.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers; that was the farthest from my intentions.

I'll see you guys there.....can't wait!!!!

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do I need for heavy metal then?

Talk to Kurt on this,I will eventually shot some HM and I will use a Springfeild M1A standard or scout.The standard is a 22" barrel @9.3lbs.,the scout is a 18" barrel @9lbs.Be ready to pay between 1350.00 to 2000. Then you will need to have the barrel floated and buy some mags. then learn how to do a mag change as the mag release is located in somewhat of an awkward place for fast reloads,but once again Kurt can teach you this also

Latest posts

Top Bottom