It's on!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In this type of competition, how are the long guns stored until they are used on the firing line? Hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. The rules on the OKCgunclub site list all of that out. They can be bagged between stages or carried muzzle up and chamber open. Muzzle up and empty, open chamber when heading to the line (except on stages where the RO authorizes pre-load, then it is safety on and chamber empty and closed). We will take care of all the new folks and explain things and keep you all out of trouble..

Mike

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this type of competition, how are the long guns stored until they are used on the firing line? Hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question.

I'm going to test drive my wagon with a rugged gear rack in the back.
I also have a baby bugy style cart that holds two guns on the sides. You can borrow it if you like.
A lot of guys that are less lazy than me put their guns back in the case after each stage and carry them to the next stage cased.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
I've got to make sure I am clear on this............so, weapon clear and muzzle pointed up when moving from stage to stage?

What if someone "forgets" to clear the weapon properly and the weapon discharges while it is pointing "up" at someone's head?

I will do as the rules say, but I will be the guy looking like I'm dodging invisible flies all day because I hate ANY muzzle pointing at me. People are killed every year by "unloaded" weapons. A muzzle pointed in a safe direction will not kill someone.

Again, I'll follow the range safety precautions, but I wanted to let you guys know that I'm not crazy, just don't like guns pointed at me, anytime.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If muzzles are up and the firearm has been cleared by the shooter, verified by the range officer, dry fired and chamber open with the safety on, what might else would you suggest to ensure the firearm is safe. The policy is that it is pointed straight up, so how would that be pointed at someone's head? Sweeping someone, or yourself even unloaded is unsafe gun handling and subject to DQ

If someone discharges a weapon, and someone is in the way of the projectile, then I am sure state and federal laws will prevail. There are several thousand of matches a year and thank the powers to be, very few accidents. If you do not feel comfortable with the safety policies, this might not be for you. Keep in mind that this isn't just a bunch of gun totin' rednecks shooting beer cans down at Lexington. We take the safety aspects of this game very serious and demand all shooters that participate do the same. Quite a few of us are sponsored by major manufacturers and have been doing this for quite some time. Believe me, you have more to worry about on the drive home from work then a match ran by my fellow MD's.

Sorry about being so blunt, but you sort of struck a nerve by implying we were going to let people wave their loaded guns around while yelling yee-haw and discharging recklessly.

Reaction score
Yep, they that run these events don't fool around when it comes to safety - I've seen people DQ'ed before the match even started at a similar event by not handling ONLY at the tables. Don't do that and don't break the 180 degree rule, are the main things. I'm a big noob on these though - just relaying what I remember.

Mike, I think that what hd was saying is that he thought that pointing a handgun "up" might mean pointing it up at his own head.

hd, I think what Mike is saying (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you point it "up" while holding it out AWAY from your head, so that it's pointing at sky only, and not breaking rule #2. In addition to this, the action is open (in the case of an auto pistol, slide locked back).

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, they that run these events don't fool around when it comes to safety - I've seen people DQ'ed before the match even started at a similar event by not handling ONLY at the tables. Don't do that and don't break the 180 degree rule, are the main things. I'm a big noob on these though - just relaying what I remember.

Mike, I think that what hd was saying is that he thought that pointing a handgun "up" might mean pointing it up at his own head.

hd, I think what Mike is saying (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you point it "up" while holding it out AWAY from your head, so that it's pointing at sky only, and not breaking rule #2. In addition to this, the action is open (in the case of an auto pistol, slide locked back).

If that is true, sorry for the mistake. I am referring to long guns only. Handguns will be holstered or bagged for transport between stages.

I will paste the safety section of the rules below. Hope that clears it up! Thanks..

1. Safety Rules
1.1 Participants are subject to match disqualification for violation of any rule or regulation in
sections 1 or 2.
1.2 All International Multi-Gun Association matches will be run on COLD RANGES.
1.2.1 COLD RANGE (definition): Participants firearms will remain unloaded at the match
site except under the direction of a match official.
1.3 Designated Safety Areas
1.3.1 The Safety Areas will be clearly marked with signs.
1.3.2 Unloaded firearms may be handled and/or displayed only in the Safety Areas.
1.3.3 No ammunition may be handled in any Safety Area (Except when authorized preloading
of shotgun tubes).
1.4 Rifles & Shotguns, (carry from vehicle or between stages)
1.4.1 Rifles & shotguns must be cased or carried or slung with the muzzle up.
1.4.2 Rifles & shotguns must be carried with actions open and detachable magazines
removed. Chamber flags are not mandatory, but highly encouraged.
1.5 Handguns (carry between stages)
1.5.1 Handguns must be cased or remain in holster, magazine removed except in
designated Safety Areas, or under the direction of Range Officer(s) on a stage.
1.5.2 Handguns must be carried with the "Hammer/Striker Down."
1.5.3 On stages, the Ready Condition of handguns must be "Hammer Down" for DA
autos & revolvers, and "Cocked & Locked" for SA autos or DA autos with manual
override safeties.
1.6 No participants or spectators shall consume or be under the influence of alcohol or nonprescription
drugs at the match site. Any participant found to be impaired and deemed unsafe as
a result of legitimate prescription drugs may be directed to stop shooting and requested to leave
the range.
1.7 Eye protection is mandatory for participants, spectators & range personnel at the match site.
1.8 Ear protection is mandatory for participants, spectators & range personnel while on or near a
stage of fire.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are slings required for this type of event???

We are not requiring slings for any stages next month. After the first of the year, we may have some that do. We all agreed to make this match as least complicated with as few potential hazardous conditions for all of the new folks and people that haven't shot 3-gun in a while.. The match is not overly complex and half of the stages are single gun only. We would really like to allow the fun factor be through the roof while keeping the worry factor of doing something wrong to be as low as possible.

Hope that helps..

Mike

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are not requiring slings for any stages next month. After the first of the year, we may have some that do. We all agreed to make this match as least complicated with as few potential hazardous conditions for all of the new folks and people that haven't shot 3-gun in a while.. The match is not overly complex and half of the stages are single gun only. We would really like to allow the fun factor be through the roof while keeping the worry factor of doing something wrong to be as low as possible.

Hope that helps..

Mike

Sounds good Mike. The saftey rules you posted cleared up my sling question too. My only match experience calls for long guns to be slung with muzzles down, so this is a little differnt than what I've done before. The whole thing keeps sounding better and better, I can't wait!

Latest posts

Top Bottom