iwb impossible for big boys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically carry a 4" L-frame S&W IWB at 3 o'clock in a FIST kydex. I am 6' 275#. Once you get used to it, it is very comfortable, but it does take getting used to.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok, gents. this 4:00 position you speak of....is that on your right hip? maybe even behind and above your buttocks?

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs - 40"waist. I have carried IWB comfortably for years. It's mostly finding the right combination of belt, holster, dress and gun as many have mentioned. My favorite for many of those years has been the Sparks VM2 but it sure takes a long time to get one. I recently ordered a CrossBreed Supertuck and it came very quickly and the workmanship seems top rate. I'm in shorts and tee shirt right now and am wearing it to break it in. I have had it on for about 6 hours and my wife, my daughter, my grandson, and my neighbor haven't noticed it. It's almost as comfortable brand new as a broken in VM2. I carry at 4 o'clock and have no problem drawing the weapon. Did I mention - It's a full size SIG P220 .45. I do carry 7+1 and leave the 8 rd mags for backup. That makes the butt a little less pronounced. I think this is going to be a great holster. We'll see.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not exactly on the "big boy" list, (5'11", 200lbs) but one thing I've discovered that helps a lot is a very adjustable belt. Most belts have 5-6 holes for the buckle, and it always seems like one opening lets the pistol sag, and the other makes it hard to breathe. I found a couple belts at Wally World with openings a half inch or so apart all the way around the belt. I can always find "the right" position for the buckle. They're also pretty stiff (Dickies brand), and CHEAP. I've been using them for several months and didn't pay more than $15 per belt, and they're holding up just fine.

Combine the belt with a Crossbreed, and I can carry full-size autos all day long, and NOBODY notices (except the Mrs occasionally, but she has certain "privileges" others don't!).

Holster Maker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've carried in lots of IWB's and am a pretty big guy 6'3" 320 lbs. I've tried personally made holsters and have tried holsters made by other people and have found out (for me at least) it is all in the position of the gun on your waist, the stiffness of your belt and making sure that you have correctly sized pants. If you dress around your firearm, then try some of the tactical pants that are out there that have a semi-elastic waist (5.11, Propper, Woolrich, Blackhawk, ect.).

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
5"9" and right at 190lbs, little over but still find that IWB is easy. I carry my SW 60-4 3" .38spl(J-frame) at about 8:30 in a Bianchi 3S.

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_S3000059.jpg

Or my 640ND .38spl in a Galco Royal Guard.

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN0298.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am 6 feet, 275 pounds FAT. (Everyone says I don't look that heavy but I sure feel it) When I am at around 225 I'm in darn good shape. :) I dislike the IWB but have not done much of it frankly. Seems there is always something poking out or jabbing my hip/butt muscle. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom