Jeep help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 91 Wrangler 6 cyl that starts cutting out when motor gets hot. Haven't been able to find a code reader with the correct software to read the codes. Suspect a sensor, but would like to be sure before just changing more parts. Any ideas? All help and ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 91 Wrangler 6 cyl that starts cutting out when motor gets hot. Haven't been able to find a code reader with the correct software to read the codes. Suspect a sensor, but would like to be sure before just changing more parts. Any ideas? All help and ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Since the problem appears after it warms up, I'm guessing it's an electrical/electronic component in the ignition system. I'd check plug wires and coil(s) first.

If it's a wire or coil breaking down and arcing somewhere, looking under the hood at night (engine running, in the dark) often makes those visible. Assuming it's an auto-tranny, you might have a helper put it in gear (foot on the brake) and rev it slightly to load the engine a bit if it won't miss while idling.

Just a couple thoughts. :drunk2:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Jim there are only 1 sensible options... 4BT swap!!! fix your issue right quick and in a hurry. PLUS 10X cool factor for Jeep for being able to roll coal.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3197ABD43DF541BA1F3F3197ABD43DF5&&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/yj_codes.html

A code reader is not required for this model of Jeep. The first video explains how to get the codes. The second link tells what the codes mean. Good luck in solving the issue!

Only code showing is air conditioning clutch relay. Suspect a sensor but darned if we can figure out which one.
Can also take an OBD1, but haven't been able to find one with the correct software.

Vacuum lines and injectors checked, cleaned with good gas pressure.

Doesn't appear to be an electrical problem.

About ready to pull what little hair I have left out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well Jim there are only 1 sensible options... 4BT swap!!! fix your issue right quick and in a hurry. PLUS 10X cool factor for Jeep for being able to roll coal.

Haven't been around any Jeep 4bt but have been around quite a few early bronco 4bt. Very simple swaps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom