Jumping into form 1 cans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I needed to try something new, going to play around with a handful of form 1 cans...
IMG_4661.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's all you get... Just teasers...

Nah, one is an SDTA tube, the others are from SPC. I'm going to be trying out a handful of different cups & cones, 50s, 60s, stepped, SPC pro... Some have Q adapters for cherry bombs, one will have an ASR mount.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Each can requires its own stamp, yes.

Form 1 cans are not cheaper than production cans, but your stamp will come in quicker (my last one was 12 days) and you have more control over the materials and design. Most commercial cans are designed to be okay with supersonic and okay with subsonic ammo. With a form 1 can you can design it to be a purpose driven can.

Also, I have 6 kids and we like to shoot together so it's nice to have multiple cans available when possible.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward, especially once you've decided on the can's job (platform and caliber). I wish I had been patient and picked up maverick precision tubes instead of the ones I have, but I'm not very patient and these will work just fine.

After you've decided the purpose of the can that should give you some direction in the length of tube along with the type and number of cones/cups you'll need. Caliber will determine bore and clip size, sub vs super will determine single or double clipped as well as the type of spacing you need.

Order the tube and parts, efile your form 1 (slightly different process depending on if you're filing under a trust or an individual) while you wait for parts, and once it comes in run it over to Steven at Hailey Ordnance and let them laser engrave it for you. Don't bore/drill anything till you have your stamp.

If you have a mill, great. If you don't, you're probably best off ordering a jig to bore/clip your cups. You also have the option of having an SOT "recore" your tube (either bore and clip your cones for you or replace the non-existent cones with new ones).

Lots of great resources out there, particularly the form 1 suppressor forum. I knew very little about them a couple months ago, now I feel like I have an okay grasp on them and the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom