June Practical Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are any of you OKC guys other than me planning on going to this months match??? These matches are a lot of fun and a really great way to get started in competitive shooting.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advice for newbies?
Is a sling mandatory?
Should I get there early?
Is there water there?
Thanks in advance...

A sling is not absolutely mandatory but you will want to have one. If you're not actively shooting a stage the rifle hase to be slung or in a case, the sling is a better way to go IMHO.

Being there for the walk through and saftey briefing made things much easier for my first time out.

Bring your own water. There's a clubhouse on site but there is not enough time to run back and forth for water.

TOWNHERO

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this for a few months now. If I can get my lazy butt up Sat morning and drive up there, can someone give me directions an address so I can google it. I'll be coming from Edmond.
I have an XD45 and a SS Taurus 9mm and an AR carbine with a red dot sight.
As far as clothes, what should you wear, shorts, jean etc....

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this for a few months now. If I can get my lazy butt up Sat morning and drive up there, can someone give me directions an address so I can google it. I'll be coming from Edmond.
I have an XD45 and a SS Taurus 9mm and an AR carbine with a red dot sight.
As far as clothes, what should you wear, shorts, jean etc....

Location/Directions: http://www.ocrgc.org/location.htm

Your gear is good for the match. There are some kneeling positions usually. They lay down carpet on the gravel for skin protection, but I like pants so you can "commit" to the position without hesitation. :)

Sack out early and come join us!

TOWNHERO

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Location/Directions: http://www.ocrgc.org/location.htm

Your gear is good for the match. There are some kneeling positions usually. They lay down carpet on the gravel for skin protection, but I like pants so you can "commit" to the position without hesitation. :)

Sack out early and come join us!

Thanks for the direction. I guess I could have found it on the internet, I had a brain fa*t. I'll wear jeans, no one should have to see my ugly white legs! I'll load the car Friday night and just have to put the guns in there the next morning. I usually get up about 4:00 or 5:00 am.
I guess there are those that can show me the ropes so I won't look like an idiot? When is it usually over?

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newb advice, bring what gear you have and youll figure out quick what you want to use and how you want to use it.

There have been people shoot without a sling, just make very sure of your muzzle discipline. Dave is very specific at during the walkthrough where your rifle can be at any moment in time, so you should be fine.

I usually try to get there around 9:30, if im not helping set up that is.

Theres a water fountain in the "club room" but i recommend bringing your own bottled stuff...much easier.

One more thing...be prepared to have fun and get hooked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom