just how much is too much scope on 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so i ordered the mount for my grandpas mossberg44 us(b).

its a very consistent shooting bolt action rifle. i love how it shoots but i am not really in love with iron sights.

so i want to put a nice scope on it and i want to be able to see very well, so im looking at a variable scope.

something like a 4-12x40 leupold or a 4.5-14x40 nikon

is there really such a thing as too much? i mean its variable so i can just turn it down a bit right?

also, is stupid of me to think that with a 12 or 14 pwr scope i could target shoot 8-10 inch targets at 100-150 yards with the 22 lr?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The high power will be OK from a bench rest or a very solid prone position.

I am a fan of low powered scopes for hunting and shooting out to 250m. Wider filed of view, lighter to lug around, maybe less fragile, cheaper for higher quality. For anything other than bench rest with a .22, a 4 power is fine. A 2x7 variable is more than enough. I have a 4 power on one .22 and a 2.5 power on the other. No problem hitting targets that you describe.

jej

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no reason whatsoever to buy a Nikon or a Leupold. At that point, you're just paying for the name. I have a Tasco 3x9x50mm on my Remington 597, and it is more than adequate. I'm pretty sure I paid something like $57 for it at Walmart. It's just as dependable as my Leupold Vx-2 that I picked up for over $300. There's no noticeable difference. You'd have no problem hitting those targets even past 150 yards.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one of those questions I have to laugh on the inside when I hear. It's one of those situations that I know what I would recommend to someone asking but it's not something that I do.

So for the advice I'd go with a 3-9x variable. It'll do everything you need a scope to do.

Now to fess up, my 10/22 sports a 4.5-14x and my .17 has a 8-32x, both Meullers. The only time they are maxxed out is when I'm shooting from a bench trying to outshoot the old man.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a couple of the BSA Sweet 22's and they are great. 3-9X40 adjustable objective with a bullet drop compensator for 3 different weight bullets. You can find one to match your barrel and particular ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom