Just ordered my Mosin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the title states I just ordered my Mosin Nagant and it will be my first one.
It's a hex receiver m91/30. I am chomping at the bit to get this thing in hand.

Now to figure out how to get the Cosmoline off of it. :bigeye:

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get alot of rags you're gonna need um. After you tear it down separating the metal parts from the wood, I'll explain later, use brake cleaner on the metal parts keeping track of these rags. Spray the crap out of them. You'll probably want 3-4 cans of brake cleaner. Go to big lots or the dollar store the cans are cheap there. Sit the wood parts outside in full sunlight. I sit mine on top of an old shiny dashboard visor. This will help melt all of the Cosmo and start wiping. But don't accidentally use a rag that has brake cleaner. Brake cleaner is the fastest paint stripper of all time.

have fun at the range and um you might want to get a recoil shoulder pad, at minimum, before you go shooting. My shoulder hurt for 3 days with a wicked bruise after the first time I shot mine. Hell I have a recoil pad on the gun and a recoil reducer on the muzzle. I have a shoulder pad ordered. The recoil reducer makes a big and pleasant difference in pain reduction. Feel free to ask me or any of the others for advise. Oh and don't use a barrel mounted tripod it doesn't let the barrel flex which effects the accuracy. I recently round this out.

Where did you order it from?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't forget to re-oil the metal parts after you clean them off, or it's rust city.

I could encourage you to document any cartouches you find. There will be some up underneath parts that are only available when disassembled. Wrapping the wood during hot weather works great, but since the temps are cooling down, you may have to use EXTREMELY low heat in the oven. heat, wipe, repeat until it rags are clean after wiping. take your time.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have fun at the range and um you might want to get a recoil shoulder pad, at minimum, before you go shooting. My shoulder hurt for 3 days with a wicked bruise after the first time I shot mine. Hell I have a recoil pad on the gun and a recoil reducer on the muzzle. I have a shoulder pad ordered. The recoil reducer makes a big and pleasant difference in pain reduction. Feel free to ask me or any of the others for advise. Oh and don't use a barrel mounted tripod it doesn't let the barrel flex which effects the accuracy. I recently round this out.

Where did you order it from?

DO NOT listen to this advice. A recoil pad will take all the fun out of it :P
I have never used a recoil pad and am just fine. There is a only one time id even consider using one, and thats while shooting from a bench. Iv noticed that you feel allot more recoil when shooting from a bench opposed to standing or kneeling.
Have fun with your new rifle. They are great, and soon you will want to get another one.

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DO NOT listen to this advice. A recoil pad will take all the fun out of it :P
I have never used a recoil pad and am just fine. There is a only one time id even consider using one, and thats while shooting from a bench. Iv noticed that you feel allot more recoil when shooting from a bench opposed to standing or kneeling.
Have fun with your new rifle. They are great, and soon you will want to get another one.

I shoot from a bench and I have alot of fun.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A mosin does not need a brake or a shoulder pad. The recoil is there, but unless you are a 22 shooter and not used to the recoil, it is normal for a largeish 30 cal weapon. Just my 2 cents My 300 win mag really lets you know its there but I don't mind it either

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I shoot 60 rnds through mine from a bench every couple of weeks and I have to have a recoil suppressor and pad. I'm speaking from my experiences you need something unless you like to hurt.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I shoot 60 rnds through mine from a bench every couple of weeks and I have to have a recoil suppressor and pad. I'm speaking from my experiences you need something unless you like to hurt.

I have shot that and more. Main thing Is money isn't as plentiful and don't live where I used to so I don't have access to shoot like I once did. I can feel a slight difference in recoil between my m44 an 91/30s. Myself I don't care for brakes. Had one on my PSL. Man that thing was so dam annoying. Took it off and put a flash hider/suppressor on. Much better. I don't care for the blast that comes back atcha. The percussion that comes back at you is annoying. It makes me blink and loose sight of the target. Soon as I got rid of it, no more blinking. As for the bruising that's normal for Mosin specily if you are shooting as much as you are and I have. Just get one of those padded shoulder vests. Cheaper than buying a brake and threading the barrel. If you are shooting off the bench and are using a vise get a bag of #8 or #7 shot and put it between your shoulder and the rifle. That will help

Latest posts

Top Bottom