K98k's and politics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy undying threads. Let me stir the pot. I have a ton of Nazi artifacts, including a K98, SA Gruppe marked Walther PP pistols, RZM PPK pistols, SS and SA daggers, rings, document stamps, period books, an SS typewriter, Lugers, pins, badges and a lot of paperwork.

My best man at my wedding is Jewish. I was the best man at his wedding. Back in college, when he went to Israel for a year, I would drive up and take his mother to lunch once every two weeks. If anything ever happens to him and his wife, I am responsible for administering a very considerable trust and making sure his children receive a religious (Jewish) education. Hell, when his second son was circumcised, the Rabbi (who was also a doctor) flew to Tulsa by mistake. I dropped everything and drove him to OKC so the ceremony could take place.

Having Nazi weapons and artifacts no more makes me a Nazi, than having some period Comanche artifacts makes me a Comanche, or having a Lakota Sioux name makes me responsible for what happened to the 7th Calvary.

History is life. Life is full of pain, death and evil. You an dwell on it, or fight it and try to make life better. It's all up to you.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel that an artifact is just that: an artifact. It's an object of a period in history but doesn't necessarily glorify that point in history.

I think mostly it's intrigue. A person might have a few Nazi artifacts and have them as reminders of just how evil society can be. Different but related- I really enjoy true forensic documentaries and cold-case shows. Those shows often display actions of very deranged and evil individuals but also the methodic skills of the forensic scientists who solve these crimes. By watching these shows I not glorifying the criminals but rather the good guys who bring them to justice.

Now that's a stretch from a discussion of surplus rifles, I admit. But just because a person is interested in an idea, concept, tool used for evil, etc., doesn't imply they condone it. I wouldn't mind having an authentic K98 complete with all the Nazi garb on it. It could sit right next to my M1s as a display of the triumph of good over evil.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy undying threads. Let me stir the pot. I have a ton of Nazi artifacts, including a K98, SA Gruppe marked Walther PP pistols, RZM PPK pistols, SS and SA daggers, rings, document stamps, period books, an SS typewriter, Lugers, pins, badges and a lot of paperwork.

My best man at my wedding is Jewish.

Pot stirring? Challenge accepted!

Do you run a museum? Are you planning to give it to a museum? Are all of those heirlooms? Or do you have it as an investment?

If it's just an investment - what does your Jewish buddy think of you "getting rich" off good ol' Nazi relics? How is it any different then "getting rich" on recent tragedies you condemn so vocally?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's just an investment - what does your Jewish buddy think of you "getting rich" off good ol' Nazi relics? How is it any different then "getting rich" on recent tragedies you condemn so vocally?[/QUOTE]

Why - that'd be like Jewish folks profiting from Holocaust movies and the like. Try Norm Finklestein's "The Holocaust Industry:Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering".

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why - that'd be like Jewish folks profiting from Holocaust movies and the like. Try Norm Finklestein's "The Holocaust Industry:Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering".

That's exactly what I mean. If you are OK with profiting on holocaust - man-up, and just say it. Don't be hiding behind "oh, Nazi's weren't that bad, well at least not all of them" BS.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No problemo. I have no problem profiting from the holocaust of the 1940s. If my Mauser brings an extra buck or two because it has the markings of the government that commisioned its fabrication, I'm all for it.

Now I've got a question- with all the K98s out there with communist Yugo markings on them, (real K98s, not M48s of later vintage) - why is there not much demand? They are, after all genuine 98ks, some even have waffenampts left on in a few places.(typical shoddy communist work ethic)

They shoot just as well, are built great. Most have laminated stocks. Should be on par with the Nazi relics.

Again - the question of Arisaka with or without mum. Look at what the kindly Japanese did to China and later to Americans. Should I shun Arisakas with the mum, or shun profit because folks will pay more?

Are they closet Japanese Imperialists?

Latest posts

Top Bottom