1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

K98k's and politics

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by milsurp2.0, Oct 18, 2012.

1. JB Books

JB Books Shooter Emeritus

I inherited a lot of it. Some of it came with various guns I bought from estates, veterans' widows, and a few items I bought at auction.

Actually, I have, indeed, considered giving it to a museum, but just never have gotten around to looking into it.

As far as "getting rich" on this stuff, my boy, I'm already rich.

I don't get why you are trying to guilt trip everyone. You seem pretty obsessed and it's a bit tiresome.

2. MoBoost

MoBoost Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Can't stay rich by giving stuff away, eh? But it's the thought that counts ...

Guilt free environment makes me pretty obsessive. The fact that you are mentioning guilt makes me think that maybe, just maybe, I am making a difference.

What would you do if your Jewish friend DID tell you that your Nazi collection bothers him?

You are an older guy, and you understand what is what better than most. I don't think you are trying to glorify Nazis, but it might appear different to younger impressionable crowd.

I still haven't heard a good argument to buy a $1000 K98 over a $300 M96, other than "This is 'merica! I do whatever I want!"

3. JB Books

JB Books Shooter Emeritus

Actually, tax deductions help out quite a bit!

To be frank, I'm not guilty in the least. I haven't done anything that causes even the slightest twinge in my conscience.

If my friend brought it up to me, I would respect his feelings and explain that I don't share his opinion. Btw, he helped me find a really nice RZM PPK, so I'm pretty sure I know he doesn't take any offense. Also, most of this stuff is packed away, it's not on display in some sort of shrine. Although, if I build snother house, I do intend to do some displays with all the pistols of the Allies and the Axis and probably one for the WW I weapons of the Allies and the Central powers. Probably shadow boxes with medals, guns, paper work etc.

I think your tsouris (that's a Yiddish word) should more originate from those folks who actually buy reproductions and actually do glorify the Nazis, rather than collectors or historical reenactors.

4. been

been Sharpshooter

I agree. I plan on owning a German WW2 period Mauser some time in the future. I also plan on owning every other main rifle from the period. Italian, french, British, you name it. I dont want the Mauser because it has a swastika on it. I want it because it has a history to it that other rifles may not have. Kinda like owning piece of the Berlin Wall. A chunk of concrete may be dirt cheap, but some have historical value to them. I dont plan on going to any neo-nazi meetings or any other stupid stuff like that though.

5. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This freakin' thread keeps drawing me in. It's getting hard to breathe.

6. been

been Sharpshooter

same here! We should ban the person who keeps bringing it from the dead!

7. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    But! You just did! Oh, crap! Now, I did! Will it never end?

8. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    yep, and like the energizer bunny its keeps going and going and going.

9. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Anyone remember Sportsman's Guide selling Nazi marked 8x56R ammo quite a few years ago? I think it went for about 5 bucks per 10 rounds on stripper clips. Had original box, etc....they used to sell a bunch of surplus stuff (Nazi, Commie, Swede, etc) - and then one day they started running a disclaimer next to Nazi stuff, saying they didn't want to offend anyone. (no disclaimer for Commie stuff, go figure)

Kinda like Mitchell's Mausers removing eagle and swastikas from their K98 ads. Now the ads show an iron cross, because K98s have iron crosses on them, I suppose.

Even model airplanes of ME-109s and Stukas have the swastika removed from the box art. (replaced with iron cross, again)

Kinda reminds me of Harry Potter's Voldemort - ooh..don't speak his name...oh no!!!!

10. flatwins

flatwins Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We've blasted past politically correct into pathetically correct.