1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

K98k's and politics

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by milsurp2.0, Oct 18, 2012.

1. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I saw one buddy of mine picked up -vet bring back, even had the last two digits of the serial # on the action screws. The early ones were really marked well, everything numbered.

2. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Exactly what I'm looking for. Probably higher than a cat's back, I'd guess? I'd love to stumble across one just like that to hide in the safe.

3. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You are looking at $750 on up for a vet bringback. If not more. Russian Captures are $400 anymore.

4. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'd pay $750 for a nice bring-back today; unfortunately that's on the very, very low end of what they're selling for, from what I've seen.

5. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Indeed. I'd expect them easily to clear the $1K mark if in good all-matching condition.

6. Rumur

Rumur Sharpshooter

So, then let me ask this...I have a good amount of Nazi memorabilia. The ONLY reason I have it is because my grandfather who fought in Germany (for the U.S.) collected this stuff to remind him of all he went through while serving. When he died he left it to me because I am the only other member of the family that served. I will NEVER sell or otherwise discard these items. To me their are priceless. My question is, does that make me a Nazi sympathizer in your eyes? Not trying to troll or start anything, just curious. I am also starting a collection of C&R guns and if I plan on buying any rifle that fits in my budget. If for no other reason than I am interested in the history behind them. In my eyes, if you forget the history behind the weapon, you will forget history.

7. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've been out of the loop for awhile though. So i'm sure prices have went up.

8. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That last sentence is really accurate - I started collecting mil-surp rifles a long time ago, and everytime I'd get a new one, I'd have to research where it was made, and some history about it's origins.
    When I got my Finn, it led me to study about the Winter War - fascinating stuff, most people have no idea. Americans and Nazis working together to help the Finns fight the Soviets! (Americans were volunteers)
    Looking up the different codes for the K98s will tell you where the rifle was made, and the year - a little research will usually reveal why a particular plant was only open for XXX period. (usually closed permanently by Lancasters and B-17s)
    This history search may lead to reading some accounts by real soldiers, foreign and American, that may give you a little different perspective than The History Channel or other Hollywood tripe, meant to wring out an emotional response, instead of looking at the war through the soldiers' eyes.