K98k's and politics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't explain it anymore than I can explain Darth Vader and Stormtrooper costumes outselling Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 at Halloween. Most people like the bad guys.

I'm glad you brought it up. People seem to have no distinction between reality and fantasy anymore.

Fictional bad guys are indeed cool. However, "real" bad guys are not - if you meet Timothy McVeigh or James Holmes, you don't shake their hand - you spit in their f**king evil face. If the same doesn't apply to the Nazis - you portray them not as real evil , but some kind of fictional "bad guys" that were just misunderstood. That in itself is a slap in the face of all those people who perished in Nazi hands or fighting them.
I will not stand silent for that ... EVER!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost, what is so scary about the Nazis is that they were normal people who embraced a twisted ideology. I think it is counterproductive when the Nazi leadership is portrayed as two dimensional monsters like Dracula or Frankenstein. Do you remember the German movie "Downfall" about Hitler in the bunker? It drew all lines of criticism for a "sympathetic" portrayal of Hitler. That was ridiculous. Hitler was an incredibly intelligent man with a tremendous charisma and force of will. The Germans loved him and followed him straight into Hell (both literal and morally). Hitler told jokes, loved his dog and his mistress. He had friends. He wasn't Freddy Kruger or Michael Myers. THAT is what makes him monsterous.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought it up. People seem to have no distinction between reality and fantasy anymore.

Fictional bad guys are indeed cool. However, "real" bad guys are not - if you meet Timothy McVeigh or James Holmes, you don't shake their hand - you spit in their f**king evil face. If the same doesn't apply to the Nazis - you portray them not as real evil , but some kind of fictional "bad guys" that were just misunderstood. That in itself is a slap in the face of all those people who perished in Nazi hands or fighting them.
I will not stand silent for that ... EVER!

Yet you get worked up over the word Jap and the Japanese are doing this.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19987251

While Germany is doing this.... http://www.economist.com/node/21564617?fsrc=scn/ob

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are not making any sense. It is unfair and ridiculous of you to lump all collectors of WW 2 Axis weapons and equipment as Nazis and racists.
I thought I was very clear - give me a reason to collect something you genuinely despise. Study or even respect - I understand, claim as your own property - I don't.
If you are collecting OU memorabilia, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are OU alumnus, but it is safe to say that have something more than hatred for OU.
Just the same - I'm not saying collecting Nazi stuff makes you a Nazi, but it might be safe to say you have something more than hatred. Curiosity ... maybe, but I figure it should be satisfied rather easily.

MoBoost, what is so scary about the Nazis is that they were normal people who embraced a twisted ideology. I think it is counterproductive when the Nazi leadership is portrayed as two dimensional monsters like Dracula or Frankenstein. Do you remember the German movie "Downfall" about Hitler in the bunker? It drew all lines of criticism for a "sympathetic" portrayal of Hitler. That was ridiculous. Hitler was an incredibly intelligent man with a tremendous charisma and force of will. The Germans loved him and followed him straight into Hell (both literal and morally). Hitler told jokes, loved his dog and his mistress. He had friends. He wasn't Freddy Kruger or Michael Myers. THAT is what makes him monsterous.
We are on the same page. So I don't know why you disagree with me on "collecting" - you got some-something in the back of the safe you are not very proud of?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet you get worked up over the word Jap and the Japanese are doing this.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19987251

While Germany is doing this.... http://www.economist.com/node/21564617?fsrc=scn/ob

I get worked up over words used ignorantly by the people I associate with - if those words are used intentionally - I intentionally don't associate with those people.

As far as the links go - WWII is still a very hot and controversial topic everywhere in the world except for USA, maybe it has to with basically no civilian casualties (six, not million, not thousand, just six civilian dead from direct enemy fire) ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom