Karambits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spyderco's Karahawk is probably going to have a street-price just south of $200 (it has a 2.35" blade). You can get an Emerson with a 2.6" blade for ~$200-230.

What do you specifically want in a Karambit? Folding or fixed (fixed is going to save you a lot of money)? Waved or not? What blade-length? Would you be better served with a normal folding knife that has a Hawk-bill blade?

I know diddly squat about Karambits other than what I've read online, so I can't really speak to them but Emerson seems to be the standard everyone goes by. I've heard some good things about Fox Knives' Karambits, but I don't know enough about them to say one way or another.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wanting folding, and the 2.3 to 2.6 seems nice. The emerson has a chisel grind and is over all thicker, but looks much more sturdy, the Spyderco is thinner and has a saber grind which I would prefer, but it also doesn't seem as sturdy.

I know there are other hawkbills out there but honestly for me the Karambit has the cool factor going for it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wanting folding, and the 2.3 to 2.6 seems nice. The emerson has a chisel grind and is over all thicker, but looks much more sturdy, the Spyderco is thinner and has a saber grind which I would prefer, but it also doesn't seem as sturdy.

I know there are other hawkbills out there but honestly for me the Karambit has the cool factor going for it.

Holy crap - I didn't see that the Karahawk was only going to be 2.5mm blade-stock - I hope that's a mis-print on Spyderco's web-page. That's the thickness of a Delica.

Yeah, I'd go with the Emerson for sure in that case. I don't know that Karambits need to necessarily be super-stout, but I would at least think they'd go with something as thick as the Sage (3mm) for what is essentially a self-defense / fighting knife.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the Spyderco's blade-thickness isn't that big of a deal (I just dug out my old sabre-grind Delica and they're much beefier feeling than the FFG versions), and the Hawk-bill adds even more structural rigidity.

I've never even held an Emerson Karambit, but that one in the video looks like it would feel like holding a brick - I can't imagine trying to do anything with a folder that fat (but again, I'm no Karambit guy, that might be what one looks for in a Karambit).

I do wonder how the Spyderco deploys with that back-lock. Back-locks inherently have more drag than typical liner locks due to not having a ball-detent (with lock-backs, it's usually just the lock-face riding the backside of the pivot). Still, with a wave or the Spydie-hole, it should deploy quickly enough - I'd just like to see a comparison between the two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom