Keeping Bees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to keep bees. But haven't in years. I have heard there is some illness killing them off. I don't see as many around here as I used to. We need them for pollination.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to keep bees. But haven't in years. I have heard there is some illness killing them off. I don't see as many around here as I used to. We need them for pollination.

Your absolutely correct. I saw a program on Nat Geo awhile back that folks in China are having to have humans do manual pollination in their fruit trees because of the lack of bees.

Anybody have a tiny go-pro I can strap on one of these around the house? I love bees, but hundreds swarming us in the summer is getting too much.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a little kid one of my uncles used to follow the bees to the hive. He would follow one until he lost it and then wait for another to come along. worked really well for him. He also used to find water by following bees so I guess you could find the hive or a local creek...

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bees. Consider top-bar hives. Mine are about 40 yards from the back door, no worries. I never wear white; it's not an issue.

A couple of books you might consider buying: Top-Bar Beekeeping by Crowder and Harrell, and The Barefoot Beekeeper by Chandler. Unless you're one of those guys that sprays chemicals at problems willy-nilly.

You're too late to order bees from any of the bigger companies for Spring 2015. You may find a local guy raising nuclear colonies to sell. You'll want to install in late April, early May.

bee-r549

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your looking to get bees i sell bees and equipment in norman. We are Royal Bee Supply and have everything that a person needs to get started. Thanks Nighthawk for comment.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bee-r549, what do you think of the new hive concept that was on the group fundraising page (http://www.wired.com/wp-content/upl...art-anderson-Q41A6483-desaturated-grass.jpg)?

We are moving to a smaller acreage this summer on the north side of OKC and I would love to either get our own hive or work out a deal with a bee keeper. The benefits to the environment and surrounding plants are why I want them. The honey is a bonus.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a little kid one of my uncles used to follow the bees to the hive. He would follow one until he lost it and then wait for another to come along. worked really well for him. He also used to find water by following bees so I guess you could find the hive or a local creek...

It is called Bee-lining. My great grandad did it too, it's not as easy as it sounds. You can look it up online, there is a formula that will help you figure out how far the hive is from the nectar source.

I've been keeping bees for several years. If you want to get in for less money, buy all your hives, frames and supers, and a bee veil or suit. Then ask around or put an ad online or in the local shopper, that you will come and remove bees. I've done this for several years to get a start of bees.

If you can find someone that can mentor you, close by, you will be miles ahead. There are lots of good resources online. I also recommend a book titled "First lessons in Bee Keeping".

Good luck. It looks like this might be a real good year for the bees, if we keep getting some rain as time goes by.

The disease mentioned earlier is called Colony Collapse disorder. I'm not really up on it, but the last information that I have on it, is that it is caused by multiple factors, stress on the bees, exposure to some pesticides and naturally occurring mites and other pests that affect bees.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom