Kimber Ultra CDP II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have been out of the 1911 market for some time. I recently add a Springfield Ronin Commander in 9mm. I am now looking at a Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm.

Can anyone give me good or bad history with this model?

Thank you

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The general consensus is that they arent worth the premium. I have a Ultra Carry Raptor II that I wouldn't trust as an SD gun. I actually got my DW ECO for less than what my father in law paid for the Kimber we inheritied. Damascus NY manufactured guns tend to be more desirable but in past decade or so the quality has gone down a little.Its a shame, as they make a few I like.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had three or four Kimber Ultra CDP’s over the years (all in 45), and they’ve all been 100% reliable for me. I sold my last one to buy a STI subcompact 1911 but would have no hesitation buying another Kimber subcompact today.:thumb:

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cdp but mine is in 45acp. No problems so far and mine is well worth the price I paid for it.
BD717684-E565-45BC-9F76-AEE165A8213C.jpeg

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always like the Kimber’s in CDP. The Ultra I know had some teething issues with reliability, not sure if they’ve worked that out or not. I’m not a huge 1911 fan to begin with (gasp....check username), I just figured I could get a smaller, lighter handgun with more rounds for about half the money. So, I did. :thumbup3:

But, I really have always liked the “three tone” CDP series. Aesthetically speaking, I think they’re great.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned two Kimber's, an Ultra Carry II and a Pro Carry II with the Crimson Trace laser grips. Both had feeding problems. A shame, because they were really accurate and nice to behold. I got rid of them and read later Kimber's tend to be a bit under sprung. Perhaps a
Wolf recoil spring would've helped, but like I said, only found out later.

I have had nothing but good luck with my Sigs, Ruger and S&W E series (except for a plunger tube that tried to self eject off the S&W). Sportsworld fixed that in a jiffy with I think, an Ed Brown tube. No trouble since and that sucker is probably the best overall I own.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with Kimber has always been positive. I have not owned one of their 1911s in 9 mm but have owned and currently own a Micro 9. All great guns that I had no issues with. Currently have a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP and 10 mm.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber used to have issues when they tried to do the external extractor thing. They had 4 redesigns and then dropped it. They don't have significant issues any more, although the goofy series II safety would keep me from ever buying one. Their non series II guns are usually pretty solid.