Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno. Looks like it would work great on some pine or maybe hackberry that splits easily, but some of the oaks/elm/hedge in my area will test a 35 ton hydraulic splitter.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've also got a 35 ton splitter and generate LOTS of kindling just from splittting .. but below device looks well built

Last edited by a moderator:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does look good. I remember quite a few years ago heating a house almost 100% on wood. Had a bunch of stringy wood and had to sit in the basement for a few hours every week with a hatchet and hammer to make kindling. I did my best to load the firebox up so I would be able to have a few coals left when I would wake up in the morning before I went to class so all I needed to do was toss in a log and it would get going. Sometimes when it was extra windy and/or cold that wasn't the case and it always sucked.

Before that year I split logs eight hours a day for almost two weeks. The guy who was running the actual splitter wore a blister on his hand from working the control back and forth. We had logs that were so hard to split that we had to ram them one way and then flip them over and run it again from the other end, even then I would sometimes have to physically pull the logs apart they were so stringy. I always see in the movies where the guy swings an axe and the wood just splits with the lightest of hits. I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen in real life even when swinging a eight pound splitting maul and to say I am no slouch when swinging something like that is an understatement.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno. Looks like it would work great on some pine or maybe hackberry that splits easily, but some of the oaks/elm/hedge in my area will test a 35 ton hydraulic splitter.

Dry Elm with its locked grain is about the worst I ever tried to split, I broke a logsplitter with a large piece of dry Elm once..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does look good. I remember quite a few years ago heating a house almost 100% on wood. Had a bunch of stringy wood and had to sit in the basement for a few hours every week with a hatchet and hammer to make kindling. I did my best to load the firebox up so I would be able to have a few coals left when I would wake up in the morning before I went to class so all I needed to do was toss in a log and it would get going. Sometimes when it was extra windy and/or cold that wasn't the case and it always sucked.

Before that year I split logs eight hours a day for almost two weeks. The guy who was running the actual splitter wore a blister on his hand from working the control back and forth. We had logs that were so hard to split that we had to ram them one way and then flip them over and run it again from the other end, even then I would sometimes have to physically pull the logs apart they were so stringy. I always see in the movies where the guy swings an axe and the wood just splits with the lightest of hits. I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen in real life even when swinging a eight pound splitting maul and to say I am no slouch when swinging something like that is an understatement.

Walnut, pine, and in most cases hackberry will split with one hit of a maul if there isn't a knot in it.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For small kindling We always just used a hatchet with about a 4 lb hammer. I thought thats how everyone always done it.
Hold hatchet left hand on stood up small log or one you split with maul , hit hatched with hammer. I guess this is the same concept but 100 dollars . Why didnt i think of that

Latest posts

Top Bottom