Knife sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently bought a Smith's 10" diamond hone at Gander Mountain for $30. Seems to be working well. For primary bevel, I like a coarse Arkansas whetstone. Longest one that can be found. A 3x10" is what is available around here.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lansky Croc Sticks. Picked up this sharpener in 1989 at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation show. Been using it ever since. Best and easiest sharpener I've ever used. I can get "most" knives razor sharp in under 15 minutes and I can touch up my EDC knife in less than 5. The Protech in the picture can shave the hair completely off your arm with very little effort.

Attachments

• Sharpener.JPG
    Sharpener.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 305

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lansky Croc Sticks. Picked up this sharpener in 1989 at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation show. Been using it ever since. Best and easiest sharpener I've ever used. I can get "most" knives razor sharp in under 15 minutes and I can touch up my EDC knife in less than 5. The Protech in the picture can shave the hair completely off your arm with very little effort.
Croc sticks work great if they have the same angle that your blade does. They tend to fill up with steel shavings too. Do you clean yours often?

Knight92

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Spyderco Sharpmaker! I can not hold the angle for free hand and it will sharpen different style of knives and blades than well pretty much anything else. The setup insures you maintain edge angle and bevel angle if you wish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, mine came with a cleaning sponge that I use on the ceramic sticks about every 20-25 sharpenings, which for me is once or twice per year.
I have some as well. Didn't get a sponge, but read on the internet to use Babo clenser. Its pretty abrasive, and cleans up the sticks pretty good.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Spyderco Sharpmaker! I can not hold the angle for free hand and it will sharpen different style of knives and blades than well pretty much anything else. The setup insures you maintain edge angle and bevel angle if you wish.
This. I tried stones and I swear the knife was more dull than when I started. The Spyderco solved that for me. I purchased the extra fine rods also. after running through all three rods, my knives are razor sharp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom