Knife sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spyderco Sharpmaker here as well. 30 degree back bevel followed by 40 degree edge gets my knives a razor sharp edge that holds up really well. With a stone I'd eat through steel on my knives and basically get lucky if I ended up being able to shave hair with my knife. With the sharpmaker, I can slice the hair off my arms without effort every time. The only downside is profiling a new knife to match the 30 degree back bevel. Once that's done, sharpening is quick and easy.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here have a Wicked Edge Sharpener. Saw them at the SHOT Show last year and was very impressed. Should have taken advantage of the show special and picked one up there. Price tag is pretty steep...but, seems like it would work on any blade and last a lifetime! Oh well, I'll stick with my Croc Sticks for now.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lanskey setup that I've been using for several years now. I never have been able to get consistent results out of the old india stone I have. The one thing I don't have that I have considered buying is a strop to really finish the blade off. However, There are bald spots on my arm that say I may not need that last step.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spyderco sharpmaker is so easy a caveman can do it. It's a fantastic beginner system for not a lot of money. Get it and a strop and you can have hair whittling edges with ease. I'm a complete amateur and was able to get even my dullest knives shaving sharp.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160524_25194c6d5222ef6202a0796e2f59e4c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I like the Lansky setup as I don't have to worry as much about maintaining a specific angle. The Jig allows you to keep the same angle on every pass of the stone.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would be better the spyderco sharp maker or the lansky system.

What are you wanting to do? If you're going to be doing a lot of reprofiling edges then the lansky will be better for that. I debated between the two and got the sharpmaker with diamond and uf rods. The ultra fine aren't necessary but I think the diamond rods are for knives that are in bad shape.

Sharpmaker is very easy. You really can't mess it up and can do recurves and weird blade shapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom