Know any livestock processors/butchers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tell people almost that because it's they way I looked at it.
I tell people it's just a big squirrel.

What I eat most is ground meat or steaks from back strap or steaks from back leg meat.
Separate the muscles and cut a steak from it.
Save the fat off the pig to mix with ground to make sausage. You do not need casings to make sausage.
I make it and wrap it like you do all the other meat.
Pig back straps I make small steaks/ chops.
The front shoulders and neck meat are ground. Belly meat be bacon.
I skin my pigs like a deer.
I have rendered some pork fat, I got 1/2 a gallon of excellent frying oil from it.

Picnic ham is easy to make with pink salt and water soak. A 2 day soak per pound of meat. I use the butt or ham as some call it.
It will soak and actually turn that pink color. After curing is finished you can cook it in the oven with pineapples and brown sugar etc or pressure cook it or pan fry it or stick it on a smoker for a few hours with some hickory or whatever you like to smoke pork with.

I have had so much meat in the freezer I had to resort to pressure canning. Beef and deer.
Friend and I had 4 pressure cookers going at 1 time and a cast iron skillet browning the cuts of meat before we added them to jars with some water poured into the skillet to make broth from the sticky scrapings in the pan.
We seasoned the meat with creole and pepper.

You can pressure can the toughest meat like right off the ankle and it is fork tender.
Plastic fork tender.
Dump the meat juice out of the jar and make brown gravy with it and then add the tender chunks of pressure canned meat.
SOOO GOOD.

A really good way to do a front shoulder is take the entire shoulder and stick it in the BBQ grill and smoke it or cook it slow and keep sauce of some kind on it or wrap it or cover it in foil.
It will be so tender and you get every bit of meat that way.

Yes, canning meat is good stuff. Never thought I'd like it until stopping into a place on the way to the farm to buy free range eggs from a retired couple that lived there. They had a pantry full of canned pork and beef along with every variety of vegetable and jelly's.
Nobody answered the door a couple of years ago, and I see the house and property has sold now so have to assume they went to town or something more serious happened.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know owners that shut down that kind of business because all the people bitchin about not getting all their meat.

Yea how much meat do ya think is on a 70 pound deer with no bones in it less than 25 lbs but you can't convince the customers of that.
I tell people I will help you grind and package the meat no problem with that but I will not do it all while you are gone or watching TV and eating pizza.

I have no issues using my grinder and my place to package and grind meat either. But you must be willing to do the work right along beside me.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know owners that shut down that kind of business because all the people *****in about not getting all their meat.

Yea how much meat do ya think is on a 70 pound deer with no bones in it less than 25 lbs but you can't convince the customers of that.
On the 1190# steer my brother and I had processed, the hanging weight was 764#, and we got 398# of packaged meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom