Krav Maga?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For self-defense and better fitness in the OKC/Edmond area, I would be highly interested in the new BJJ school there, United Martial Arts. Befittingly, I believe the BJJ coach there has a pretty extensive Krav background.

www.unitedma.com

Old post, are you attending United MA? Just saw you are in Tulsa so probably not...

SoonerBJJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sam, thanks for mentioning United Martial Arts. We don't currently have a Krav program but we do integrate stand up, striking and self defense techniques into our BJJ training. Our philosophy in establishing the school has been an attempt to stay more true to the art's fighting heritage.

I spent 2 years in one of the more respected Krav Maga schools in the country in San Antonio and I've visited others. It's probably true that as it is trained, 90% of the Krav schools out there are utter crap. There isn't anything special about the technique. It is just an organized curriculum drawn from boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu with some weapons thrown in. The problem lies in the training methodology utilized by many schools and the ground work is severely deficient IMHO. A good cardio workout isn't a substitute for alive training against resisting partners. And if an instructor tells you "our methods are too dangerous to train against resistance" then you should RUN not walk for the door.

We have considered adding a "true" licensed Krav program. I believe in much of the circumscribed technique and I know that with our background in BJJ and MMA, we wouldn't have any problem keeping the training "alive." But frankly we haven't yet determined if it is worth dealing with one of the licensing organizations to do so. However, we will be starting a women's self defense program in January that will be loosely organized around my experience in the Krav organization but then more specifically tailored toward our skill sets.

I can't speak to any of the local Krav programs but the owners of Redline and Pride are friends of mine and good guys. I would recommend observing some classes and speaking with the instructors and students. See if the classes fit your needs and then where you feel most comfortable.

BTW we will be moving into our own facility in the first week of January. We've been making use of the world class mats at Oklahoma Wrestling Academy but have outgrown our space there. Our new location is at 15th and Fretz in Edmond, so easier access from I35, Broadway Ext and the Turnpike.

Good luck!

Kravman

New to the site!
Reaction score
Sam, thanks for mentioning United Martial Arts. We don't currently have a Krav program but we do integrate stand up, striking and self defense techniques into our BJJ training. Our philosophy in establishing the school has been an attempt to stay more true to the art's fighting heritage.

I spent 2 years in one of the more respected Krav Maga schools in the country in San Antonio and I've visited others. It's probably true that as it is trained, 90% of the Krav schools out there are utter crap. There isn't anything special about the technique. It is just an organized curriculum drawn from boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu with some weapons thrown in. The problem lies in the training methodology utilized by many schools and the ground work is severely deficient IMHO. A good cardio workout isn't a substitute for alive training against resisting partners. And if an instructor tells you "our methods are too dangerous to train against resistance" then you should RUN not walk for the door.

We have considered adding a "true" licensed Krav program. I believe in much of the circumscribed technique and I know that with our background in BJJ and MMA, we wouldn't have any problem keeping the training "alive." But frankly we haven't yet determined if it is worth dealing with one of the licensing organizations to do so. However, we will be starting a women's self defense program in January that will be loosely organized around my experience in the Krav organization but then more specifically tailored toward our skill sets.

I can't speak to any of the local Krav programs but the owners of Redline and Pride are friends of mine and good guys. I would recommend observing some classes and speaking with the instructors and students. See if the classes fit your needs and then where you feel most comfortable.

BTW we will be moving into our own facility in the first week of January. We've been making use of the world class mats at Oklahoma Wrestling Academy but have outgrown our space there. Our new location is at 15th and Fretz in Edmond, so easier access from I35, Broadway Ext and the Turnpike.

Good luck!

I would love to see someone bring the IKMA Gidon System to Oklahoma. I have talked with David Kahn on the phone and read his books and watched his DVDs and done a lot of research on the IKMA and they incorporate ground fighting/defending. And in my opinion is top notch and the only one I care to learn under, but no one in Oklahoma teaches it. So really wish one of you gung hoe instructors would go to David Kahn and train for year or so under him and then come back and teach us the Real Krav Maga!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I apologize for making my first post here an advertisement but someone I know sent me the link to this thread and suggested I reply.

I'm with Oklahoma Combatives (www.oklahomacombatives.com) and we are an ICCS KRAV MAGA group. Almost ALL Krav Maga in the States resembles a basic martial arts class combined with a fitness class. People go in and hit pads..do pushups and think they are on the same level as an Israeli Soldier. Wrong.. you've just had a good workout.. that's all. Krav Maga is NOT martial arts.. It's combatives. This is where many instructors make a mistake. They think because they've taught martial arts they can simply watch DVDs or take a course on Krav Maga and add that to their list of skills. The problem with that is once again, it's not a martial art. When you get someone who has a strong martial arts background teaching Krav Maga, it's usually a difficult transition because the Krav Maga (which is already watered down) now has strong martial arts influence.

The organization we are with (ICCS) are not gym owners wheeling and dealing monthly gym memberships. They travel the world training military (special forces), law enforcement and political security. Myself and the other instructor at Oklahoma Combatives train under Chief Head Instructor Sharir Richman (Israel) and US Director Tony Harwood (now in the States). We just finished a 5 day seminar in Butler, OK and it looks like they will be back in May due to several requests for another seminar.

Our students lose weight, become fit and stronger but not because that's our focus. That is simply a by product of our training. We train in combatives.

Anyway, I apologize if I hijacked the conversation.. I also apologize for the length of the post..but there is so much that can be said for real Krav Maga combatives and the current state of Americanized Krav Maga.

If anyone is interested we are putting on a FREE Intro to ICCS Krav Maga clinic February 1st, 2014 in NW OKC. It's completely free but registration is required to reserve your spot. They tend to fill up pretty quick when we do things like this.

Here is a link to one of our ICCS videos... ICCS does not put out videos explaining technique because of who they train.. but the videos put out are usually from training sessions and will give you a better idea on the mindset and intensity of ICCS Krav Maga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVK-FH09wGw

Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom