Larger than .45?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been away from the "legalities" of the SDA for a while, but I don't think that anything above 45 caliber (including the .454) is legal.

Now, with regards to the "permitless" carry, I'm not sure I would want to test the law. My last name is not "Harper."

Junk Yard Dog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 5E1875A7-68F4-43F7-A83F-290603590592.jpeg
    5E1875A7-68F4-43F7-A83F-290603590592.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
From your article

Some of you may remember the now discontinued Winchester’s Black Talon rifle and pistol line. Introduced officially in 1991, this hollow point round is especially famous for its unique-looking projectile. While its black color and petal-like construction gave it a very distinctive look, the round’s performance was roughly on par with other hollow points. Winchester designed the ammunition with stopping power in mind, but the gun maker soon found itself embroiled in controversy after the round was involved in a Long Island shooting in 1993.

The cartridge provided additional ammunition (so to speak) for gun control advocates to rally against civilian gun ownership while other critics focused on the “Black Talon” name. In the end, Winchester decided to discontinue the pistol caliber line in 1993, and the entire line completely in 2000. At no point was the round ever prohibited by United States law. In fact, some sources say that as many as 400 police departments at some point or another carried Black Talon ammunition.

From another article

The Black Talon handgun bullet is a jacketed hollow-point bullet with perforations designed to expose sharp edges upon expansion. The bullet included a Lubalox coating, a proprietary oxide process. ... This Lubalox coating was to protect the barrel rifling, and did not give the bullet armor-piercing capabilities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom