Laser Eye Surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m 64, can’t see much of anything close up and slight distance correction with glasses. I also have very small cataracts starting. I’ve done a little research and have an evaluation appointment next Wed at Clearsight. My goal is to completely eliminate the need for glasses forever. Anyone had this done and would you recommend it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know that it's going to help your up close vision. They might be able to help your distance vision. I'm not an eye doctor though. I'd be interested to know what you find out. I always wanted to do it, but never had the money and now that I probably could, it isn't that big of a deal to me - my contacts are minimal trouble and I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to notice up-close problems and I know those will continue to get worse for years to come - and having the surgery won't stop or slow that progression down.

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife had it done 30 years ago, for the past 5 or so years she has used reading glasses for reading, but other than that she has had no problems. She could see better instantly right after the surgery.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would skip Clearsight and go talk to Dr. Kimberly Wise in Norman ( https://wiseeyeassociates.com/ ). She'll shoot you straight on it; she's the one who advised me not to get it done because the numbers didn't line up.

I'm pretty sure that the materials she and my regular ophthalmologist had me review said that most people needed reading glasses after LASIK. Of course, it has been about 20 years, so I may be misremembering this.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll always need glasses for the close up stuff, unless...I saw where my ophthalmologist is doing a cataract procedure that I never heard of. (I have the small ones that don't need attention yet, as well) He removes the lens, breaks up the cataracts, sucks them out, and replaces the lens with a corrected crystal lens. That, as I understand it, can be bifocal. I can't begin to imagine the cost. My insurance won't even cover the dry eye meds or procedures that help.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would skip Clearsight and go talk to Dr. Kimberly Wise in Norman ( https://wiseeyeassociates.com/ ). She'll shoot you straight on it; she's the one who advised me not to get it done because the numbers didn't line up.

I'm pretty sure that the materials she and my regular ophthalmologist had me review said that most people needed reading glasses after LASIK. Of course, it has been about 20 years, so I may be misremembering this.
I didn't need reading glasses before or after Lasik. I know several others that this also applies.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that is an eye doctor and he told me that the cheap laser surgery like on tv ,stay away from. He said most of them use older outdated machines that don't compare to the newer machines known eye doctors use.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had cataracts removed about 3 years ago, I got a replacement lense that cost about $3000 extra and was supposed to correct distance vision so that I would only need reading glasses. Didn't work out so well for me, I can see better at distance but not well enough to do without glasses. Really glad I didn't spend the five or six thousand extra for the lenses that were supposed to eliminate glasses altogether. It's just as easy for me to wear glasses all the time as to keep up with reading glasses, but if I had it to do over again I'd save the money and just get the regular lense.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did it 20 years ago, and it would have been worth twice what I paid.

It does have some drawbacks, but overall it's the best money I ever spent.

The Dr will tell you what he can and can't do, and you need to ask about side effects, like starburst around lights at night, dry eyes, reading glasses, and having to wear sunglasses in the daytime even on cloudy days, but those never outweighed the benefits for me. There was an option for me to have them fixed so I didn't have to wear readers, but I opted not to do that for various reasons. Mainly I was afraid it would impact my depth perception.

Talk to the doc. Then go talk to a different one at a different place. Get 2 opinions.

I'm thinking about having my enhanced. I'm starting to loose a little of mine, but I went from 20/400 to 20/15 in both eyes. Best money I ever spent. I wish it had been around earlier in my life. I suffered thru a lot of glasses and contacts in 40 years of wearing them. I love my new vision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom