Latest in the Jerome Jay Ersland saga.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. And people want to compare a ccl to a member of the US armed forces. Maybe we should make everyone join the military before getting their ccl.

You know ... that's not a bad idea ... I've always thought that mandatory military service from 18 to 21 wasn't a bad idea ...

No ... people think that if you carry a gun for self-defense you should not fancy yourself Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral ... :)

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ersland's loud mouth aside... we all agree he's an idiot of the first order.

do you think Ersland is still guilty of murder 1 if downed thug was already dead at time of second five shots?

it's my understanding that to convict on Murder 1 ... requires NO reasonable doubts exists.

it's impossible for the medical examiner or anyone else to nail down time of death within 30 seconds... it just cannot be done.

this means NO one knows for certain if downed thug was dead or alive at time of additional five shots.

what is for certain is down thug never moved again after hitting floor. this points to thug being instantly dead.... but again NO one knows... that certainly includes the medical examiner or the DA.

without question ... a doubt still remains if downed thug was alive or dead at time of second set of shots.... sorry but scumbag or not... Ersland should get the benefit of the doubt.

How is the fact that he was higher than a kite any kind of excuse for what he did. And I don't believe that he acted in the heat of the moment. Based on his own words and deeds I think he had dreamed of "his" moment for quite some time.

As far as his attorneys putting up a weak defense, again, an attorney can only work with what the client gives them. Ersland did not give them anything to work with.

You are right about his personal character not changing the forensic evidence but everyone has agreed that some of the evidence was inconclusive (like whether Parker was alive or not). So ... the only thing they had to go on was Ersland's own statements, coupled with the forensic evidence ... and Ersland said he was still alive.

I'll also give you that there was some question as to whether Parker was actually a threat. Again, Ersland's own actions and statements, coupled with the forensic evidence, was what the jury had to work with. Apparently, in not only the DA's eyes but also the jury's (and I suspect Ersland's defense team's eyes also) the evidence led them to believe that Parker was NOT a threat.

I don't think Ersland was found guilty of murder because he is a liar, a drug addict and a mental case. I believe he was found guilty of murder because he did, in fact, commit murder.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone else recall early in the case when the DA's office attempted to seize Jerome Ersland's remaining gun collection - something like 40 guns as I remember. His attorney, Mr. Box, intervened with a statement that Mr. Ersland's firearms were no longer in his possession and had been handed over to Mr. Box. I think Mr. Box stated that he had taken the firearms as partial payment for his retainer.

If so - is their a gun auction on the horizon and how will the provenance of the guns history affect their value?

Cedar Creek

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know ... that's not a bad idea ... I've always thought that mandatory military service from 18 to 21 wasn't a bad idea ...

You know what that would mean, right? Then your bag boy at the grocery store would have a reason to call himself Admiral Travis for the rest of his life, and tell about his .50 cal kills in the Franco-Prussian War.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ersland's loud mouth aside... we all agree he's an idiot of the first order.

do you think Ersland is still guilty of murder 1 if downed thug was already dead at time of second five shots?

it's my understanding that to convict on Murder 1 ... requires NO reasonable doubts exists.

it's impossible for the medical examiner or anyone else to nail down time of death within 30 seconds... it just cannot be done.

this means NO one knows for certain if downed thug was dead or alive at time of additional five shots.

what is for certain is down thug never moved again after hitting floor. this points to thug being instantly dead.... but again NO one knows... that certainly includes the medical examiner or the DA.

without question ... a doubt still remains if downed thug was alive or dead at time of second set of shots.... sorry but scumbag or not... Ersland should get the benefit of the doubt.

IF (and that's a big IF) Parker was dead when the 5 shots were fired then no Ersland is not guilty of murder.

But ... in light of the fact that the ME cannot conclusively prove whether Parker was dead or alive, Ersland's statements to the contrary (as an eye witness) lend credence to the ME's conclusion that Parker was alive. Ersland's own statements are what does away with any reasonable doubt.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone else recall early in the case when the DA's office attempted to seize Jerome Ersland's remaining gun collection - something like 40 guns as I remember. His attorney, Mr. Box, intervened with a statement that Mr. Ersland's firearms were no longer in his possession and had been handed over to Mr. Box. I think Mr. Box stated that he had taken the firearms as partial payment for his retainer.

If so - is their a gun auction on the horizon and how will the provenance of the guns history affect their value?

Cedar Creek

Quite possible that Box will sell or auction them to make some money and I would think that the provenance would increase their value given peoples desire for that sort of thing. I don't want one of them though...

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No ... people think that if you carry a gun for self-defense you should not fancy yourself Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral ... :)

The more i think about it the more I think its a good idea.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that witness is a proven liar and scumbag... it still doesn't change the fact that evidence was presented that downed thug never moved again after hitting the floor.

that points to thug being instantly killed by first shot. but because it's impossible to nail down time of death within 30 seconds. NO one including the medical examiner and DA knows with 100% certainty downed thug was dead or alive at time of five shots.

without question reasonable doubt still exists.... it's my understanding murder1 requires that NO reasonable doubt remain.... sorry but scumbag or not, that doubt belongs to Ersland.

They had an eyewitness the the thug was still alive when the shots were taken, so proving within 30 seconds is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom