Lawton Gun Shop Seeks Help to Build a Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.kswo.com/story/35584251/business-asking-for-help-to-build-local-gun-range

LAB Weaponry LLC of Lawton is seeking public assistance to build a shooting range near the "Trail of Fear" on Rte 7 between Lawton and Duncan.

I've used their gun shop services in town and they have an indoor archery range adjacent to the store. I have spoken to them and know that they also have land near ToF. What they can't get is a business loan due to banks categorizing a gun range as a "high risk" business.
Essentially they are asking for donated labor or capital to improve their land into a range.
I am going to go by today and ask to see their plan (physical and managerial) for the range.
The payoff for donators will be future free range use or gun shop services according to the article.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am interested, please post your findings after evaluating their business plan. If at all feasible my mind, body and wallet may just be in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have them consult the NRA range development folks. I think all the info is available on line. We had to move our old range in Ponca due to encroaching development.
It's very informative information regarding berm hight, drop out zones, and so on to build a range that can be insured. They will want insurance.
The NRA also offers liability insurance for ranges.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is also a decibel limit at range property lines, above which the range can be sued for noise issues.

Not for the faint of heart indeed.
I've not heard of any decibel limit on property lines in rural areas. Urban areas like Bars, etc do have those restrictions within city limits.
We have a neighbor across the street that moved a mobile home in after the range was built. Out of courtesy, we initiated a 8am to sunset rule for shooting. If you have some legal code to quote, I'd sure be interested in looking at it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have some legal code to quote, I'd sure be interested in looking at it.
OKLAHOMA STATUTES
[Excerpt from TITLE 63-709.2] SHOOTING RANGE NOISE LIMIT
§63-709.2. Noise - Exemption from liability.
B. No person shall bring any suit in law or equity or any other claim for relief against a shooting range, or its owners or operators, based upon noise emanating from the shooting range, provided the noise at the property line of the range does not exceed one hundred fifty (150) decibels.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One would have to be shooting next to the fence with a house mere feet away to break that law.
With a sound meter next to a shooters ear, the .300 win mag average = 161.1 dB, the 30-06 average =160.5 dB. The averages show only 0.6 dB difference, the loudest 30-06 was 163.2 dB, .300 win mag was 165.5 dB.
Give it 100 feet, and it would be impossible to break that 150 decibel limit.
Your post is valid and good information to someone building a new range.
They may need to build a noise barrier if a neighbor is too close if only for courtesy. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom