layer crumbles for chickens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been researching them, I want the biggest as they'll be meat suppliers for the most part.. My lovely better half wouldn't likely take kindly to putting 20 eggs on my egg sandwich which I pack to work 5 days a week.. We (mom) had them some 30+ years ago and they didn't fly..(too fat) My hutches likely won't give them but around 12-16 inches of height.. We're getting serious about this homestead thing and have lots of dreams and plans.. I may end up contacting you at a later date for a JUMBO source, But housing comes 1st and winter slows my progress down... Thanks..

I hear ya. I really did a number on myself when I decided not to put them in the shed. My set-up is pretty patched together right now -- @swampratt can vouch for me here! Lol -- but they have a roof, a windblock, and plenty of straw to huddle up in. I've gone out several times in the mornings and found all 5 of the quail inside those little hutches. I thought I'd left the pen door open the first time that happened. Haha!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if it rains?
I use A hanging feeder with a rain guard I made, kinda looks like those covers on cattle licks

My coop is 7 foot tall and has the white plastic corrugated panels for the roof.
It is blocked by my shed on the north side and thee is just enough open screened area for good ventilation and to allow the sun to come in.
My food does not get rained in.. coop is dry unless you get blowing wind rain.. but even that does not soak the area.

Wife and I got tired of bending over to get eggs or dealing with small coops.
This one has an old glass storm door for entry..and no bending over.
I just took this picture and it is dark out and no light on currently but hens are all up.
001.JPG

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"layer crumbles for chickens"

Am I the only one that thought this was gonna be a recipe? :D

I must have read it as...

"layer crumbles for chicken"

106177-296fc8f565c163dc4a5ea8d6a382d529.jpg
Sounds like something my wife makes that I really like. So yes. I was thinking it was another version of the recipe. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom