LCP vs TCP vs Bodyguard 380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have had the kel-tec.32 and the lcp.... i have gotten rid of both of them and now have a g27 that i love... it is small enough to conceal and not to heavy.. also got the stoping power of the .40!!!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Taurus TCP has a better trigger than the Ruger LCP. I looked at both and liked the TCP better ... ended up getting a Gen 4 Glock 19.

The new SIG P290 might be the mouse gun killer.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never owned the Bodyguard but have 2 Ruger LCP's and 1 KT P380 and have owned the TCP. The LCP is more reliable, in the particular ones I have, and seem to be more accurate. Carried the LCP, in a hard chrome model, for over a year now and still carry it but have fell in love with the Kahr PM9 in 9mm as it carries great in pocket carry or IWB or even OWB. I think any of the ones you mentioned would serve you well as long as you put at least a couple hundred trouble free rounds thru them.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry the sig p-238 and love it but I like 1911's and dont mind carrying cocked and locked. trigger pull on the sig is much better than the other 380's but it would be since it is a single action trigger vrs the double action on the other. of all the others little 380's I think the kahr has the best trigger pull, and seems to be a little more comfortable to me. check them all and find the one you like that fits you best and that you are comfortable carring

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sig is cute but I wouldn't want a single action pocket gun, and I'm a big S&W fan but I don't want a laser or to have to pay extra for it, and the gun's controls look a little weird. The Kahr is nice and has good sights but is expensive and the slide hold-open lever makes it more complicated and bulky. I have had two Kel tecs and they were perfectly reliable and I liked them a lot and the Ruger seems like the same thing, but a bit more refined. I love my LCP and several dealers at the gun show had them for $279 and my only complaint is the tiny sights, but they are probably adequate for humanoid targets at pocket gun range. I would just like bigger sights for plinking or popping a nearby bunny or armadillo.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I missed where the Sig was SA. I really like my wife's TCP, but have no experience with any of the others. That Sig looks like it's right up my alley though. I gots lots of 9mm in the locker.

ikindoit

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the others, but I just got a keltec p3at and after putting a hundred rounds through it, have been very pleased so far. Zero glitches of any type and suprisingly easy to hit point of aim with such a small piece. Not to mention it is so lightweight anywhere you choose to carry it, hip pocket, iwb, front pocket, it won't constantly remind you it's there.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will quote myself here. I have no comments on the Bodyguard though, as I have not seen or handled one to date.

I am a big fan of the TCP after trying one out at the range. I cannot comment on the S&W, but I own an LCP and think the TCP compares favorably to it for several reasons:

1.The trigger was smoother, shorter, and lighter - but not too short or too light for a carry piece
2.The trigger guard is angled/sloped out, and not back in towards your trigger finger. This allows more room for you if you are wearing gloves (I cannot fit a gloved finger in my LCP without working it in there, and I have small hands). This also prevents the trigger finger from getting slapped against the inside of the guard, which can cause it to go numb (happens to me occasionally)
3.The reset is noticeably shorter on the TCP. About one our of every 20 shots with my LCP I will not release the trigger enough to reset it.
4.The palm swell is a bit fuller on the TCP. Not much, but enough it makes it more comfortable IMHO
5.It has a REAL slide lock and release, meaning it locks back on the last fired round of the magazine

(I posted this in another thread, but it is just as relevant here.)

The more I think about it, the more I believe the TCP is a very refined and well thought-out pistol. They took many of the pain points of .380 pistols, and did a great job at resolving those issues. Not to mention this pistol is made in the USA, not Brazil, and the super-patriot inside of me likes that :D In all seriousness, comparing the fit and finish to my father's other Taurus pistols (24/7 in .45 and a Millenium in 9mm), I think the TCP is of noticeably better quality than the Brazil-finished pistols.

IMHO, I don't much care for a laser on a CCW as I would be point-shooting from 3-5 yards most likely, and not brandishing the laser beforehand (apolgies to the Crimson Trace marketing department). For the same reasons, the sights are not issue either.

Everyone has different opinions on these pocket pistols. Hell, many people think that unless it's a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp, it's not worth carrying. But I really think Taurus has a good thing going with TCP. I bet if you try one, you'd really like it.

They do have a heck of a kick, for a .380, due to the small size and weight and small grip. But they are definitely shootable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom