Legality of auto knives in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading an article in the Oklahoman this morning titled "Legislature set to rumble over ban on switchblades." It was about bills filed in the Legislature to permit carrying switchblade knives.
In the article it stated "It is legal to buy, sell and own automatic knives under Oklahoma law, but not to carry them.The state made spring assisted knives, which are similar to switchblades, fully legal two years ago."
Is this correct? Is it really legal to own, buy and sell automatic knives? Or is the author of the article confusing spring assisted knives (like my Kershaw Leek) with switchblades?
Can anyone tell me what the laws actually say?
Thanks,
Rick W

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fire, Police and Military Auto knives ok. Regular Joe is a no go right now. They did take out the spring assisted to make them legal. Hope they get the stupid auto laws off the books soon. And yes it is legal to own the autos as a collector in Ok.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire, Police and Military Auto knives ok. Regular Joe is a no go right now. They did take out the spring assisted to make them legal. Hope they get the stupid auto laws off the books soon. And yes it is legal to own the autos as a collector in Ok.
Oklahoma statutes prohibit carrying switchblades, but there is no statewide statutory prohibition against owning them. They removed the phrase "spring-type knife" from the statutes to clarify the legality of carrying an assisted-opening knife, but it really didn't apply to them in the first place (it predated the existence of assisted-opening knives).

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom