LEO asked me to remove my gun and leave it in car during traffic stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like another poster had said before it is a shame you could not just let someone know how dangerous that was without actually filing a complaint and getting anyone in trouble.... police officers are human and make the same simple mistakes we all do, but with just a tougher job than most have....

I certainly think you could and have done it myself.

Simply prefacing your complaint with "I will not make any type of formal complaint against this officer and I'm on your side..........." will go a long way towards alleviating concerns that you are someone simply bitching about the police.

I had an officer in Kiowa behave poorly on a traffic stop so I called the chief and simply said "I am not going to file any type of complaint against this officer but I am a supervisor as well and if one of my guys was acting like this I'd want you to tell me about it."

Michael Brown

Tacticalii

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time here in Moore , I was actually on my way to the range and had a rather large sig bag in the backseat with my GF in the fron carrying also... he stopped me for tag being overdue (April, and it was May. Ive never been pulled over for something that wasnt my fault)asked where i was going .. and then he said he wished he was going with us.... then proceeded to tell me to have a good day.

Hope I didn't make ya'll late to the range :thumb:

okshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with many here. The officer simply didn't want you to bring the gun to his vehicle where OHP generally asks you to come during a traffic stop. Since he asked you to remove it I really think it was more a personal safety issue for him and I would have gladly complied as you did. These guys have crazy dangerous jobs and they don't know you from Adam. Making them feel safer and in turn making you safer is never a bad thing. Sounds like he was just doing his job and staying as safe as he could in the process.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had an interesting/exciting last few days.It seems lately my life has been following the very topics of this most excellent and informtive forum Glad I found it.(but maybe not)Please no one post a thread about car wrecks.I dont want to have one.;)

Anyway:we were returning home from the hospital yesterday and we(my wife was driving)were stopped by a trooper right on the Hwy69/412 exit in choteau/loves truck stop.Well she pulled over in the sonic paking lotbecause he lit her up while still on the loopy thing.and she couldn't stop right there in the merge lane(she did this on her own,without me rightside driving,I was napping)the trooper came to her window "DL and POI please Mam.."please step out of the truck and to my car please mam".No problem so far,very professional untill I took a glimps in the rear view to see him sitting in his seat and my wife trying to open the passengerside door.She's all of 5feet tall on her tippy toes,and 100lbs soaking wet.I thought it a bit odd that the trooper had been exceptionally courtious up utill then,so why not continue,I'm sure his mother or the academy taught him manors and that men open doors for ladies house doors store doors car doors weather or not she expects it.but thats neither here nor there.
What my question is on something that I'm not sure of how the subject came up(my wifes detail is kinda wifey if you know what I mean)but as far as I can make out while in the car the trooper asked "is there any guns or drugs in the truck"?And she answers yes but they belong to him, not mine.whoaboy! (honey I love ya but that brain connected to that mouth is a WMD).
Well he comes to my side now and I roll the window down I say yes officer?"
Sir is the lady your wife? yes sir,she's said you have a gun and drugs in the vehicle can you please step out of the truck.Now it was going to be my turn to let my mouth get me into trouble.How do you politely and respectfully say the word no to an officer without setting off warning bells in his head?But unlike my wife I thought about it before I opened my fat mouth and leaned forward showed him my stapels and said "not without probably passing out sir.
Long story longer I offered to show him my permit for the gun as I handed him the bottle of darvocet with my name on it,but he said thats not nessicary,you've all been pretty honest so far,I'm only going to issue her a warning for failure to signal that last lane change,.Shell be back to the truck for you in just a minute sir,sorry for the inconvience hope you get well soon.

Question:shouldn' he have asked for my ID at the time of the initial stop for his safey.(at which time I would have gladly given him my permit and tell him where the gun was.)could have saved both me and the trooper the headach.punn intended:D who knows I could have been an illegal
Question:Is probable cause or reasonable suspicion needed to ask the question got any guns or drugs in the car?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question:shouldn' he have asked for my ID at the time of the initial stop for his safey.(at which time I would have gladly given him my permit and tell him where the gun was.)could have saved both me and the trooper the headach.punn intended:D who knows I could have been an illegal
Question:Is probable cause or reasonable suspicion needed to ask the question got any guns or drugs in the car?

1) Unless he wanted to find out, he was stopping your wife for a traffic violation and you are not part of that process unless you contribute to him being less safe i.e. you were not cooperative. I would do the same as this trooper if I were simply writing a traffic citation.

2) NOTHING is needed to ask anyone any question. It is your answer and the level of detention that determines what is admissable or not. A police officer can ask you just about anything but the only things you are required to provide if you are the subject of an investigation are your identifiers i.e. full name, address, date of birth, and, if driving, driver's license and vehicle information.

Failure to provide any of those if you are the subject of an investigation or traffic stop will likely result in your arrest. Anything else you are not required to provide, although failure to provide some pieces of information or failure to answer some questions may result in you being detained far longer than neccessary.

Michael Brown

Straitup

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
QUOTE=ExtremistPullup;1159685]as soon as cop walks up to my window, I've said "I am requried by law to notify you that I carrying a concealed weapon and I have a conceal carry permit"

The issue I have with this, is that Notify doesn't require speaking. What if I'm a mute. I don't want a rookie drawing down on me because they overheard something about a weapon.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as soon as cop walks up to my window, I've said "I am required by law to notify you that I carrying a concealed weapon and I have a conceal carry permit"

The issue I have with this, is that Notify doesn't require speaking. What if I'm a mute. I don't want a rookie drawing down on me because they overheard something about a weapon.

I don't yell I HAVE A GUN at him before he gets to my window.

I have my windows already down, my hands on the wheel, I make eye contact and say "I am required by law to notify you that I carrying a concealed weapon and I have a conceal carry permit"

Notify does require speaking up, unless you want to show it to him; but that won't end well for you.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) Unless he wanted to find out, he was stopping your wife for a traffic violation and you are not part of that process unless you contribute to him being less safe i.e. you were not cooperative. I would do the same as this trooper if I were simply writing a traffic citation.

2) NOTHING is needed to ask anyone any question. It is your answer and the level of detention that determines what is admissable or not. A police officer can ask you just about anything but the only things you are required to provide if you are the subject of an investigation are your identifiers i.e. full name, address, date of birth, and, if driving, driver's license and vehicle information.

Failure to provide any of those if you are the subject of an investigation or traffic stop will likely result in your arrest. Anything else you are not required to provide, although failure to provide some pieces of information or failure to answer some questions may result in you being detained far longer than neccessary.

Michael Brown

Remind me why citizens are obligated to provide name and DOB? Also, are there instances where a pure outright refusal to provide any info is warranted? Out of pure curiosity to your answer.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't yell I HAVE A GUN at him before he gets to my window.

I have my windows already down, my hands on the wheel, I make eye contact and say "I am required by law to notify you that I carrying a concealed weapon and I have a conceal carry permit"

Notify does require speaking up, unless you want to show it to him; but that won't end well for you.

I think your phrase for letting an officer know about your carry status is excellent, however, I disagree that you have to verbally notify them of your carry status. As mentioned above, what if you are mute? Also, IMO, handing them my CCW license, in effect, is notifying them that I am carrying. All that being said, I'm probably going to memorize your lines. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom