LEO Notification of Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda difficult out here...

How about this, cut the piece from the regulations that say "arrest, detainment, traffic stop", keep it in your wallet and just go about your business as if you didn't carry. If a cop for some reason complains, show him the paper. Carrying a gun is an advantage, let's not turn it in to a disadvantage.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about this, cut the piece from the regulations that say "arrest, detainment, traffic stop", keep it in your wallet and just go about your business as if you didn't carry. If a cop for some reason complains, show him the paper. Carrying a gun is an advantage, let's not turn it in to a disadvantage.

I was just referring to his "ignore the cops" statement. We have a higher cop:citizen ratio than we do hooker/stripper:citizen ratio, which means it can be pretty difficult to go more than five minutes in public without encountering a law enforcement officer, and if you tend to mingle with their crowd, ten minutes without running into one you know.

I won't bother carrying around snippets of the law. If I wanted to do that for everything that I've seen officers get wrong, I'd better get a 4" binder and some tabbed dividers for quick reference.

As I said before, I don't notify unless it is in the course of an arrest, detainment, or traffic stop, or as a courtesy such as when an officer is offering assistance for a situation why my firearm may become unintentionally exposed.

As I also stated before, it would not surprise me if indeed the Instructors' book has casual conversation as a time to identify to an officer listed in order to cause undue stress to those who do not read the law themselves. They already cause undue stress in the law itself by defining possession of a firearm by a convicted felon to include riding as a passenger in a vehicle where there is a firearm (21 O.S. 1283). The intent of the law seems to be to cover those riding as passengers in vehicles in actual physical possession of a firearm, but there is no test case either way.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first contact will damm near keep you out of trouble always.

No.
If you are getting a coffee at QT and the cop next to you starts a conversation about coffee, you can tell him how much you like the cappuccino, you don't have to tell him you are packing. You are in the middle of a pit stop, not a traffic stop. You are initiating unnecessary action.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just referring to his "ignore the cops" statement. We have a higher cop:citizen ratio than we do hooker/stripper:citizen ratio, which means it can be pretty difficult to go more than five minutes in public without encountering a law enforcement officer, and if you tend to mingle with their crowd, ten minutes without running into one you know.

Where do you live, next to a police station?
You need more strippers.
:Heya:

GOTOGUY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you enter into a conversation with an LEO, it's best to inform him/her that you are armed and have a permit.

A simple "hello" as you're passing each other is not required.

That's what I do. A simple "hi" or "hello" and I don't inform them.

If I am engaged in a conversation I always let them know. Hey, it's good to have a friend or two on the force.

Bought a puppy from a family once. Had my handgun, etc., etc., lady's husband sitting on the couch. We were there for about 15 mins. before I asked, "So what do you do?" He's an officer. That's when I let him know. He's was very cool about it.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop are all seizures and you must advise as to your concealed carry status. A voluntary police citizen contact does not so require. If I'm gassing up my Harley and an officer comes over to discuss motorcycles, I do not have to tell him, or her, that I am armed because I have a right to walk away.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
and I was refering to making it a habit of not mingling with cops.You go to the store to get a pop.you walk in and a cop is standing in line,just take your time in getting your soda really really full,sip it down a little,refill,put on the lid, find a straw and let him be on his way,before you pay.
Both parties are good because Ignorance is Bliss.:anyone:

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and I was refering to making it a habit of not mingling with cops.You go to the store to get a pop.you walk in and a cop is standing in line,just take your time in getting your soda really really full,sip it down a little,refill,put on the lid, find a straw and let him be on his way,before you pay.
Both parties are good because Ignorance is Bliss.:anyone:

Perfect!

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This entire conversation begs the answer to one potential scenario:

You're in line at a conveinence store. A cop shows up in a plain car, and runs in for a can of skoal. You exchange niceties. Hello, how ya doing. Etc...

While ya'll are standing there in line, three arm thugs bust in, unaware of the cop standing in line behind you. They hollar "this is a stick up!"

If the cop starts shooting, can you as well? To offer help, especially if he's outgunned? Should you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom