LEO Notification of Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your in a busy store or business and a bystander hears you tell the LEO you are "packin" would you have just broke the law by by revealing you had a weapon eventhough it was never shown?

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should notify the Officer during any proffesional encounter. The Deputy meeting your son to serve an eviction notice would be a professional encounter, one in which he was there to perform an official duty. As far as saying hello to an officer while in line at a store, you do not have a professional dealing with the officer so there is no need to notify him/her you are armed.

As far as the officer being a little upset that your son didn't notify him immediately, I understand as the officer may have carried himself in a different manner knowing that information, such as turning his back to your son.

When in doubt, just let them know to cover yourself.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me that it should be stated, " when the law enforcement officer first comes into contact with the person... This makes it easier to understand. If the officer wants to make contact with you, tell him you are armed. Just my .02 worth.

Even then, it would not matter if the contact did not meet the requirement of being an arrest, detainment, or traffic stop.

<?php

/**
* Implementation of hook_statute()
*/

function sda_contact_statute() {
if (isset($user['arrested']) || isset($user['detained']) || isset($user['traffic_stop']) && (!empty($contact['law_enforcement'])) {
$notification = t('yes');
}
else {
$notification = t('no');
}
return $notification;
} // sda_contact_statute()

The statute does not say "contact... OR during the course of any arrest, detainment, or traffic stop." It says "contact... during the course of any arrest, detainment, or traffic stop."

For a casual non-official conversation to be included as contact, then the "OR" modifier would need to be in the statute.

However, any official conversation is included by the use of "any" in describing what kind of arrest, detainment, or traffic stop. By using the word "any" to modify "arrest, detainment, or traffic stop", then it means that if you or an officer engage each other during the course of an arrest, detainment, or traffic stop, you must notify regardless of your direct or indirect relationship to that particular arrest, detainment, or traffic stop.

Do I think that they would compel instructors to unintentionally mislead applicants on legal definitions to make some applicants infer that carrying a firearm concealed in public may add undue stress? Yes.

The law does not further state as such.

From 1290.8:

C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

If you stop at "contact", then your argument makes sense. However, you forget the two prepositions at the end. Those must be included.

Let's break it down:

"...when the person first comes into contact" describes the action taken by the citizen. "during the course of any arrest, detainment, or traffic stop" define when the action must be taken. "with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer" describes whom the citizen was taking action.

It might be easier to understand it if we add parenthesis to separate out clauses: "when the person first comes into contact (with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer) during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

Furthermore, there is nothing about "conversation" in 21 O.S. 1272, 21 O.S. 1289, 21 O.S. 1272, or the SDA book that the OSBI puts out.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you need to do is get one of these!​

awww.valorgear.com_files_1664046_uploaded_SA0008.jpg

I'm all set now; just added this image to my iPhone photo library. Now, who to flash it to??? :lmfao:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are a passenger in a vehicle that is stopped for a traffic violation, tail light, tag etc. When the LEO comes up to the driver of the vehicle to address him or her, at what point do you declare that you have a permit and are carrying? Do you wait until you are addressed, or do you but right on in on the Leo & drivers buisness to tell him, "sir. first things first, I need to inform you".

I really would like to know what others do in that situation. Because I wanna handle it right if it comes up.

I would hand my license and permit to the driver.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would hand my license and permit to the driver.

That's what I do, I keep the two licenses together and show them together.
I am not required to tell a cop anything unless I am involved in "arrest, detainment, or traffic stop".
Why do you guys try hard to make things more difficult? The requirements of the state law are quite clear, that's what you are expected to do, the cop has no business asking for more.
Don't be so quick to please and give up your rights.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How about just avoiding contact with the police? If you are out and about and see a cop just make it a point to ignore him.Ignorance is bliss in this case.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about just avoiding contact with the police? If you are out and about and see a cop just make it a point to ignore him.Ignorance is bliss in this case.

I never made it a point to talk to cops before I had my license, I am not going to start now.
Except for friends who happened to be cops and already know I pack all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom