Let my C&R expire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says I let it go. Still have interest in milsurp guns but the pricing has got high enough that I haven’t had a need to use it for quite awhile. Granted the lisence is cheap but I see no reason to maintain records and give the ATF authority to inspect in future toxic political climates. Was fun while it lasted and got some cool stuff that I still shoot to this day but I’m priced out of the market.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I let mine lapse years ago, mainly because I really wasn’t using it, and because Brownells and Midway stopped giving me discounts for having a C&R. Not having to keep the records any longer was the icing.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your point, intended or not, is that milsurps have appreciated much faster than other guns. Gone are the days. A short 20 years ago, gun shows were a hoot. You could spend all day feasting on milsurps and milsurp icing. $89 Russian SKS's, incl a can of ammo; $78 for some pretty special variations of Chinese SKS's; Mausers of every ilk; K31's: Swedish 94's; the list goes on. I can remember many years before that going into a good sporting goods store and seeing Milsurps of every kind butt-first in a wooden barrel; $29 and up.
Man, was I short-sighted.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We used to buy ‘husky’ jeans at Sears in Enid. Even as a young kid, I couldn’t wait to toss a pair of jeans to Mom so I could run downstairs and smell the cosmoline. Barrels of cool stuff for less than thirty bucks!
Now those were the days...
I got my paperwork filled out for my c&r years ago but never sent it in. My brother let his lapse because of the record keeping.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid, the Sears catalog had milsurp Mausers for $25 (8mm IIRC).

But I also remember seeing cap & ball pistols for $8 in those small ads at the back of some magazines. And you could get 'em through the mail.

<sigh> :/

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let mine go 7-8 years ago....just didn't use it enough and a lot of pawn shops and such didn't know what it was anyway so still had to fill out paperwork for them. Oh yea, the book sucked also.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your point, intended or not, is that milsurps have appreciated much faster than other guns. Gone are the days. A short 20 years ago, gun shows were a hoot. You could spend all day feasting on milsurps and milsurp icing. $89 Russian SKS's, incl a can of ammo; $78 for some pretty special variations of Chinese SKS's; Mausers of every ilk; K31's: Swedish 94's; the list goes on. I can remember many years before that going into a good sporting goods store and seeing Milsurps of every kind butt-first in a wooden barrel; $29 and up.
Man, was I short-sighted.
We had a store in Ponca called Dollar Saver that had racks and barrels of milsurps. 55 gallon drums of loose .22 ammo sold by the pound.
Cheap shooting back in those days!

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost got one a few years back bet that’s right when people stopped giving discounts, I’ll fill out a 4473 and give ssp some money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom