Leupold vs. Vortex.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your opinions......I just picked up a Savage Model 10 tactical .308 and I'm looking for some optics. My budget is roughly $500-$550.......I guess not just these two brands. I would like to start taking up long range shooting.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been furiously researching between the two for a 6.8 build. I'm not doing it for long range, so I'm probably looking lower on the magnification scale than you are. If weight wasn't an issue (this will be a field rifle), I'd take the Vortex Viper PST over the Leupold. As it is, I think I'm going with the Leupold VX-R Patrol optic in 3-9X 40. It's illuminated, 30mm tube and only 15.3oz.

Check SWFA's website to do direct comparisons.

http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

romanleader

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your opinions......I just picked up a Savage Model 10 tactical .308 and I'm looking for some optics. My budget is roughly $500-$550.......I guess not just these two brands. I would like to start taking up long range shooting.

I would look hard at the new weaver edmr 800363 in that price range. Actually, it's a little more. Or for a
bit less, check out the millett trs, they're decent for a cheap scope.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48037.aspx

I just got this one in yesterday. Taking it out and looking around the neighborhood, I am impressed. I need to get out in the dawn/dusk hours to see if it is really what I wanted, but so far I am very happy. The IR is cool and it shuts off automatically if not moved in 5 minutes.

This is my first scope purchase other than a Simmons (yes I am cheap) so I looked long and hard and came up with this one. This is going on my 6.5 Grendel AR for the rifle season.

Good luck and let us know your decision and a review once you get it in.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what kind of long range shooting do you want to do? If you're going to be shooting at fixed distances, then don't waste your time with a fancy reticle that you don't need. If you want to measure/range-find in the reticle and adjust your shot using hold-overs for wind/elevation/drop, then the Vortex is hard to beat for the money. Depending on which magnification you get, you don't need FFP (you can cut the value of the mil-hash marks in half or double if you have the room in magnification adjustment).

Long-range/mid-range shooting is super fun. I had all but stopped shooting either of my bolt guns until my kids got old enough to start learning the forumulas and enjoying it more than just shooting at one distance.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48037.aspx

I just got this one in yesterday. Taking it out and looking around the neighborhood, I am impressed. I need to get out in the dawn/dusk hours to see if it is really what I wanted, but so far I am very happy. The IR is cool and it shuts off automatically if not moved in 5 minutes.

This is my first scope purchase other than a Simmons (yes I am cheap) so I looked long and hard and came up with this one. This is going on my 6.5 Grendel AR for the rifle season.

Good luck and let us know your decision and a review once you get it in.

That's the exact model I was looking at. Let me know how the light gathering is on it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom