Leupold vs. Vortex.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May not have any trouble from it. Just check it when you get it. If there is an issue with it, getting Leupold to actually fix it can be a problem. Their acceptable tolerances are pretty loose when it comes to warranty work. I've never had to deal with it, but I also won't buy anything from them.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the scope on my F-TR rig:
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x40-Elite-Rifle-Scope-P48252.aspx
Pros:
  • Superb glass (burn me at a stake, same or better than NF and SIII when I compared side-by-side).
  • 1/8 MOA clicks with perfect tracking
Cons:
  • Horrid, I mean horrid adjustment range - only 26MOA, get your 20MOA base right of the bat.
  • Very long

As far other recommendations: Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, Leupold or Nikon will not disappoint with $500 scope.

Keep in mind, even though you can't use high magnification in all weather - you'll be glad you have it when you can.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been furiously researching between the two for a 6.8 build. I'm not doing it for long range, so I'm probably looking lower on the magnification scale than you are. If weight wasn't an issue (this will be a field rifle), I'd take the Vortex Viper PST over the Leupold. As it is, I think I'm going with the Leupold VX-R Patrol optic in 3-9X 40. It's illuminated, 30mm tube and only 15.3oz.

What's the catch?

3-9x40 - run of the mill
15oz - about average
30mm but only 60MOA of adjustment (obviously 1" guts)
No adjustable objective

I mean for the same price you can have Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 with 86MOA adjustment with only 3oz "penalty"? But honestly how does it stand up to, say, Elite Firefly for half the price?

Latest posts

Top Bottom