Lever Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester or Marlin

• Winchester

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Marlin

Votes: 90 67.2%

• Total voters

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you start meandering off of just Marlin and Winchester...

Savage 99. Now that's a fine lever :) Looks a little weird, but I like the euro-ish lines of them. The little internal rotary magazine is a nice touch as well, though the removable mag versions are OK, I guess.

The BLRs are nice guns, but have a weird faux-lever feel to them. Like they're bolt actions dressed up to look like a Win 94. My uncle-in-law has one, and the gear-driven action just feels weird after using more traditional levers. But it is pretty darn smooth.

Hrm...Ruger levers. Or "Who stuck this funky chunk of metal to my 10/22?" Though the 96/44 would be a pretty neat little gun, if the magazine didn't gimp cartridge OAL.

Mossberg levers? It tickles me that they started out making a blatant Marlin clone, then moved to a blatant Winchester clone three decades later. Curious to see if they move beyond .22 and .30-30.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but only if its a .284. My uncle has one that he simply refuses to sell to me.

Yeah, I've never even seen a .284 in person, I'm pretty sure I'll have to settle for a .308 or .243 if I ever see a nice one when I have some spare cash.I want one of the pre-64 without the cheesy basket weave pressed checkering. The cut-checkered models look awesome.

Oh, and I'm weird with my favorite guns, one of my favorites is a Ruger Model 96/22 Magnum. I absolutely love it, I added a recoil pad and a sling, and it is a nice little handy rifle and super lightwieght. I can tell you from experience will make an armadillo wish he had never dug under you chicken coop fence. 9 shots, rotary magzine, dual lock-up, short lever throw and shoots good groups at 100 yards .22 magnum is a favorite round of mine. Alot of people hate 96/22's but I love mine. Highly underrated for what it is. There is a guy who makes Walnut cut checkered stocks for them. I have debated about doing that and getting a Green Mountain Octagon barrel. Yeah, I'm weird enough to think about doing that to a gun I bought for $269.

torque

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's it like to shoot a Marlin .45/70(recoil wise)?

Factory loads are loaded to trapdoor levels and are fairly mild. Custom and hand loads can approach the full potential of the Marlin and can rock you're world. That is what I love about the 45/70. It is very easy to load, from mouse all the way to elephant. The 45/70 can and has taken every large and dangerous game animal on the planet.
For deer and hogs I like Varget powder and a 300 grain JHP at 1850 fps (factory load and mild recoil). For very thick brush I like H322 and a 420 grain Beartooth Piledriver Jr. hardcast at 1850 fps. Very stout recoil and makes you feel alive.
1850 feet per second is the most accurate in my Guide Gun (1" groups at 100 yds.)
I can get 2300 fps with H4198 and a 300gr.JHP but the groups open up to 5".

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

What's it like to shoot a Marlin .45/70(recoil wise)?

It can be anything from super light loads from www.gmdr.com which involves a 300 grain lead bullet around 1000 fps. Super easy and light to shoot, you could shoot it all day.

Heavy, well yeah, you can go very heavy. I've shot 350gr @ 1900 fps and 400gr @ 1600 fps and both have a massive concussion and slam to the shoulder. I put a limbsaver pad on my guide gun and I wear one of those shoulder reducer pads and while it is workable, you still feel it.

Good luck,

Alan

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like Marlin was dominating the poll but Winchester is making a bit of a comeback.

Anyone else hear that Winchester was going to start making lever guns again in the future?

kcollins

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for Marlin as well.

I have a winchester 94 AE pre-safety and it is a great looking and carrying gun but its action does not inspire confidence. Although, to be fair, I have never had any problems with it.

My 1894C in .357 is a fine gun all around.
I also had a Marlin 39a when I was younger and traded it away. For something bigger and "better," I forget what. Probably the one I regret letting go the most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom