Lever Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester or Marlin

• Winchester

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Marlin

Votes: 90 67.2%

• Total voters

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marlin.... I plan on shooting a deer this year with the Marlin .35 remington my dad gave me. The gun is 38 years old and a beauty. He bought it when I was born. Its a centennial model with a gold medallion in the butt stock.

Tulsahunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend the .308 over the 30/30 for hunting deer and hogs? Or does the 30/30 pretty much beat own in that regard? Which one is cheaper?

This thread reminded me of a .44 magnum lever action gun a gentlemen let me shoot at Happy Hollow one day. It was a good time for sure! Rifle season is just around the corner so........

I would definately go .308 over 30/30. I have never been a huge fan of that round on Hogs. You want something that is gonna knock them down and cause massive internal damage.

Michael

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've got 3 Marlin leverguns, a model 30 which is a "store brand" version of the 336, A 336T which is the straight stock just like what is shown in 1911Sooner's pic above excpet mine is pre safety and has a Weaver k2.5 scope on it. Both of those are in .30-30. The third is a 1894C which is chamberd for .357mag. and wears a Lyman 66 receiver sight. the 30 is the first gun I ever bought for myself and is not for sale, the other two I would part with for no less than 5X market value.

The poor old .30-30 round is so badly mistreated, a 150 or 170 gr bullet from a .30-30 will cleanly kill anything huntable in the Sooner state if you put it in the vitals like you ought to. Step up to the new Hornady Leverevolution stuff and anything in the lower 48 is doable.

If you handload the versatility is hard to beat. from 100 gr plinkers that won't shred a rabbit and a 8 year old can comfortably shoot all day for pennies a round all the way up to the SAMMI limit of the cartridge.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't tell the wife, but I held and examined a 336 Stainless today at Sportsworld. For anyone interested, they have an XLR in stainless that looks brand spankin new, but it's a used gun. The price on it was $546 or something like that. I contemplated it, but I like the 20" version much better. I will by purchasing one of these fine thangs within the next week... They're just that cool. Plus it's something I could use for hunting and I could really use a good hunting rifle.

I've been researching peep sights and ghost rings for them... Anyone have any advice in that regard? I will NOT mount a scope on it.

Koveras

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for the Winchester, but I guess my preference depends on what I'm going to do with it. If I'm shooting a lot, I want the Marlin. If I'm carrying it a lot, I want the Winchester. The Winchester 94 just catches my shoulder wrong and hurts (yes, I'm a wimp), but it feels so light and balanced in the hands.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't tell the wife, but I held and examined a 336 Stainless today at Sportsworld. For anyone interested, they have an XLR in stainless that looks brand spankin new, but it's a used gun. The price on it was $546 or something like that. I contemplated it, but I like the 20" version much better.

Here is the 20" stainless version at Buds, NEW for $509 delivered. Add $10 for an OPS FFL transfer and you got an out the door new one for $519.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41197

Good luck,

Alan

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah, I contemplated Buds and I may end up going that route. Will for sure be cheaper by close to $100!

$100 is a pretty good savings. I've had good luck with Buds. They told me that if it arrives and you don't like it for some reason, just don't take ownership and send it back and ask them to send another one.

I admit though that I'd like to just walk into a shop, eye over what I want, and buy it, but often you pay a premium for that.

Thanks,

Alan

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Don't tell the wife, but I held and examined a 336 Stainless today at Sportsworld. For anyone interested, they have an XLR in stainless that looks brand spankin new, but it's a used gun. The price on it was $546 or something like that. I contemplated it, but I like the 20" version much better. I will by purchasing one of these fine thangs within the next week... They're just that cool. Plus it's something I could use for hunting and I could really use a good hunting rifle.

I've been researching peep sights and ghost rings for them... Anyone have any advice in that regard? I will NOT mount a scope on it.

I've got a Lyman 66 on my 1894C and like it just fine but there are lots of options, Skinner sights are popular with a lot of levergunners but I've only seen pictures.

Check this site out for some good info

http://www.marlinowners.com/

And

http://levergunlovers.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom