Lever Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester or Marlin

• Winchester

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Marlin

Votes: 90 67.2%

• Total voters

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Madd: The family heirloom Model 94 I know own wears an old lyman Peep Sight. Super quick acquisition, and accurate. That gun has killed dozens of deer in the hands of several hunters. Peep sights and ghost rings are the bees knees.

Oh, and I want a Guide Gun in .450 Marlin. Why? No logical reason, but thats never stopped me in the past!:laughup:

That's what I'm reading... Check out this Skinner Sight.
awww.skinnersights.com_images_1895picture1.JPG

awww.skinnersights.com_images_1895picture2.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on which sight may be better for me? I think the larger one has the windage adjustment while the smaller, low profile one does not. That's really the only difference. I won't be doing any serious target shooting so I'm kinda leaning towards the smaller one.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have an opinion on which sight may be better for me? I think the larger one has the windage adjustment while the smaller, low profile one does not. That's really the only difference. I won't be doing any serious target shooting so I'm kinda leaning towards the smaller one.

If it were me, I would go with the one with more adjustments. You might find that your particular rifle shoots a little to the left or right and not be able to adjust for it with the non-adjustable sight. There are a bunch of good sight options for the Marlin levers. As I said before, the XS system is on sale at midway right now and comes with both the front and rear sight. I really liked the front sight on it which is a post with a vertical white line. A bunch of people over at the marlinowner's forums like the Skinner sights real well too.

Good luck,

Alan

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hi,

If it were me, I would go with the one with more adjustments. You might find that your particular rifle shoots a little to the left or right and not be able to adjust for it with the non-adjustable sight. There are a bunch of good sight options for the Marlin levers. As I said before, the XS system is on sale at midway right now and comes with both the front and rear sight. I really liked the front sight on it which is a post with a vertical white line. A bunch of people over at the marlinowner's forums like the Skinner sights real well too.

Good luck,

Alan

Good point about the left/right thing. Thanks again!

kcollins

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the skinner sights and did not like the look of them.
Although lots of guys over at the marlin forum like them.

Ended up putting a set of XS sights ghost rings on my Marlin 1894c.
Vast improvement over the stock sights. They are very well made. Good for fast sight aquisition but not necessarily high precision. Will have to see, as I have not shot with them much yet.

Like alank said, they run them on sale at midway from time to time and that is when I got mine. As far as effective range, everything I have come across has put .357 good out to 125-150 yards. .44 is probably right in that ball park as well.

Sanjuancb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchesters may not be as overbuilt as a Marlin, nor may they be as easy to mount a scope on...but for me, they handle one heck of a lot better. I want something that will point INSTANTLY, but I'm a shotgunner foremost too. The 1892 is slim, dynamic, and has good capacity. Not to mention that John Wayne used a 1892!!! Winchesters all the way! :teach:

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I looked at the skinner sights and did not like the look of them.
Although lots of guys over at the marlin forum like them.

Ended up putting a set of XS sights ghost rings on my Marlin 1894c.
Vast improvement over the stock sights. They are very well made. Good for fast sight aquisition but not necessarily high precision. Will have to see, as I have not shot with them much yet.

Like alank said, they run them on sale at midway from time to time and that is when I got mine. As far as effective range, everything I have come across has put .357 good out to 125-150 yards. .44 is probably right in that ball park as well.

So far I'm loving the Skinner Sight system... I have to tell you though, I had serious problems with the stock sights. I was shooting way high with them. I had two other people shoot it and one shot high every time as I did and another was on paper... So, I dunno. I would bet now though that we'd all be on paper with the new peep and front sight I've got on the gun. I really do like them!

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder... I thought the brass looked a lot better than the black ghost ring type peeps and front sights... At least with the stainless model 336.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to go with Winchester in deference to the pre-64 94 in my safe that I started hunting with at the ripe old age of 10. The action is smooth as glass and it's never failed once.

But I must confess that I'd love to have a Marlin Guide Gun in 450. Do they make a stainless one with laminated stocks? That would be the ticket!

Latest posts

Top Bottom