Little screws with loctite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone knows that you have to use heat to get blue Loctite loose, but the problem I have run into is how to get the heat just on the small screws and not heat the surrounding area too much.

Not my idea, forget who told me, but use a fine pointed soldering iron on top of the screw. I have noticed that cheap Weller guns take a really long time and tend to heat the surrounding area. I have some Wen guns that are really fast and these work better for me. YMMV

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use heat on the red Loctite. Never had an issue with the blue needing heat.

It does take a perfect fit screwdriver, or allen.

I do agree with you that the fine tip will loose heat too fast. A heavier tip will retain heat much longer if it has room to get in to the bolt head.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find that a 16 penny nail heated up glowing red with butane torch works better than any electric on small screws. Especially on guns.

Good tip. I have one that's in with what looks like red loctite that I'm trying really hard not to strip the hex head out of. No luck with electric (Weller TCP or ancient gun) so I think I'll try your method. If that doesn't work I suppose the next step after is a micro-torch directly on the screw.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Weller Propane soldering iron that has a micro torch tip. Probably what your looking for.

If your close to Ponca, give me a shout.

Thanks, but I'm way down the other direction. Was actually thinking about an old Radio Shack iron I remember having somewhere around here, if I have any gas cartridges for it.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Learned something new... I will give it a shot. I have broken an allen head out of a ar-15 gas block before not realizing the toughness of red lock tight. Thanks

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find that a 16 penny nail heated up glowing red with butane torch works better than any electric on small screws. Especially on guns.

Good tip. I have one that's in with what looks like red loctite that I'm trying really hard not to strip the hex head out of. No luck with electric (Weller TCP or ancient gun) so I think I'll try your method. If that doesn't work I suppose the next step after is a micro-torch directly on the screw.

I have had great success with using a nail heated to glowing red. I have even ground down the tip of the nail to make it flat then heated it glowing red hot and hold on the screw. I have only one time had to heat the nail more than once. It simply works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom