Loading for the 30 M1 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided I’d get my Inland out of the safe and let it see some daylight. I started to do some reloading and ran into a problem. After the initial sizing and trimming, the cases are not seating all the way inside the case gauge. As I understand case size is critical for the carbine.

I’m loading on a Dillon 650 using Lee dies and have the sizing die adjusted firmly against the shell plate as far as it will go. When checking the brass with the case gauge, the brass isn’t fully seating in the case gauge. The rim is above the maximum indicator on the gauge. There is a slight bulge at the base of the brass.

I was checking out Dillons website and the have a dedicated sizing die.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/30-carbine-dedicated-sizing-depriming-die_8_4_24502.html

Has anyone used this die? Opinions, pros, cons?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truck I don't think an $82 die is your fix( by design few sizing dies reach the last 2% of the case at the base ), have you checked any of your unsized /untrimmed cases yet? Your cases maybe be Glocked , try backing the deprime die off a little and see what happens ,otherwise, you may need a Glock bulge push though die ( Lee, Redding ) . I did not sleep at a Hoilday Inn express ,so what do I know !

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they make it about 1/2 the way into the case gauge and stop. After sizing and trimming, just the rim sticks out of the gauge.

As far as a bulge die, I didn’t know they made one for 30 carbine? I have one for 40 S&W and I wasn’t impressed with it. I replaced it with an EGW undersize die.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the gage a new item in your reloading steps ? I have wanted to get one but they are out of stock when look or I have something more important to get. I looked at my 30 carbine brass and reloads and did not see any bulges ,they mic .352-.354 at the base depending how I hold them. my Winchester eats them up all day long . What is yours mic-ing at ?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any virgin brass to check the gage with ? Or is this the first time a problem has popped up using the gage ? Chamber casting ??? Do you know Huffy ?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brass, no. I have some factory loaded rounds both commercial and military that fit with no problem. I’ve never done a chamber cast. No, I don’t know Huffy.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
former/retired TFD fire marshal /fire safety clown . Am out of ideas . Rotometals carry low temp casting metal . Just need a laddle , propane torch and some cleaning patches, plug the barrel just past the point you want cast

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of our (now retired) Asst Fire Marshals was in the FF Clown society. I was at a station with one of the other members. I learned how to make ballon animals for kids from him. Those balloons were a popular attraction during things like fire safety meetings and Fire Prevention month.

The factory cases mic at .351. The cases that do fir are .352. The cases that don’t fit are .353.

Latest posts

Top Bottom