1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Looking for a new EDC knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by 257wby, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jakerz

jakerz Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've been carrying/using a benchmade griptilian for a few years now. by far my favorite EDC.

2. ripnbst

ripnbst Sharpshooter

I have the Kershaw clash and have had it for over two years now, I EDC it. I love it. The only thing I dont like about it is that it's a ***** to sharpen because of the blade profile. It has a big belly on it. I am starting to finally reprofile it so it is more of a standard drop point profile. The next folder I buy will be something with the same flipper design as my Clash, love the quick one handed opening of it. I HIGHLY recommend you try a flipper opening blade before spending the money on an auto. it opens like an auto anyway and you don't get all the concerns that come along with an auto.

My next folder will be a ZT with a flipper/hinderer opening.

3. smokeyokc

smokeyokc Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yes I owned one for a while.
    Pros:
    Good steel held an edge very well and easy to sharpen.
    Fits well in the hand nice ergo's.
    Fan of Fred Perrin designed knives.

Cons:
    Polished micarta scales are a little to slick.
    Sheath sucks
    Blade felt a little to light for my taste.

I ended up selling mine and bought an ESEE Izula II

4. beardking

beardking Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I second this suggestion. I've been carrying one daily since July and I'm extremely happy with it. And if you watch slickguns.com, they have listed links for Amazon where you can get 2 of them for under $100.

ETA: Here is the link for the deal I mentioned above: http://www.slickguns.com/product/ke...-blur-knife-speedsafe-4584-or-2-8168-after-10

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. pbaumei

pbaumei Sharpshooter

I carry a benchmade auto-presidio, a Gerber O6 auto, downrange propel auto, or DMF auto.

Benchmade is best made, most reliable, o6 and propel are push button, and can be most easily opened w gloves on w either hand, O6 rides a bit high on the pocket.

6. riper1

riper1 Sharpshooter

image.jpg Benchmade Osbourn 940
    had it for years holds a edge a long time & takes a beating

7. langston302

langston302 Sharpshooter

there are more options and answers to such a broad question. Ask yourself what you need it for, what do you want it for?

I carry an Al Mar SERE 2K and a spyderco delica everyday on duty.
    Off duty I carry anything from a Ti Military to a Kershaw Thermite.
    I was blessed with a vast collection of knives that I can pick through and choose from everyday. I rarely carry the same knives for more than a week at a time except the Ti Military and a Manbug. Those two usually get the most pocket time than anything else I own.

8. ber

ber Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I carry tops, zero tolerance and Emerson. Their the best in my opinion. All have great customer service.

9. Super Dave

Super Dave Sharpshooter

I have a Kershaw "Ken Onion" spring assisted folder that I have carried for probably more than 10 years. The spring stopped working about three years ago, but other than that no problems ever. It has seen a lot of use, and holds an edge very well. It is the model with the regular blade. I have no use for that serrated business. I'd send it back to have the spring replaced if I could ever remember to for long enough. I think ODA sold them for $65, maybe? Great knife.

10. TallPrairie

TallPrairie Sharpshooter

If you want something that's large, but not crazy big, in the "tactical folder" category, the Cold Steel Large Voyager (4" blade) is a hellacious value at under $50 delivered. Super sturdy, bulletproof lock, feels great in the hand, yet lightweight. Excellent fit and finish for the price. I favor the plain edge clip point version (model 29TLC); very versatile blade shape for utility tasks. The CS Voyager is specifically recommended by some edged weapon instructors as a good defensive option if you can't or won't carry a fixed blade.

It carries surprisingly well and does not poke out too much above your pocket. I do usually carry it with a small Swiss Army Knife as a less attention-getting option to pull out in urban environments if I want to cut up an apple or something.