Looking for a new EDC knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Kershaw "Ken Onion" spring assisted folder that I have carried for probably more than 10 years. The spring stopped working about three years ago, but other than that no problems ever. It has seen a lot of use, and holds an edge very well. It is the model with the regular blade. I have no use for that serrated business. I'd send it back to have the spring replaced if I could ever remember to for long enough. I think ODA sold them for $65, maybe? Great knife.

Is it a Blur or something like a Leek? Ken Onion make quite a few different models for Kershaw over the years.

KAI will fix that up for you quickly (I think if you call and ask, they will send you a tortion bar so you aren't without a knife while it's gone).

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Boker Kalishnikov auto as my everyday folder, my EDC fixed blade is a Bill Coye Ridgeback. If you're the kind of person that clashes with cops no matter how nice you are then the auto might cause you some problems, I don't worry about it, its a $45 knife and can be replaced.

I also keep a SOG Team leader between the seats in my truck, my wife just got her first ever EDC, she went with a Boker Kalishnikov like mine.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 21 Chapter 53 section 1272 addresses unlawful carry as a misdemeanor and references section 1276 of the same title and chapter for the penalties

1272 Unlawful Carry

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;

4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts; or

5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

1276 Penalty for violating 1272

Any person violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 of this title shall, upon a first conviction, be adjudged guilty of a misdemeanor and the party offending shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days or both such fine and imprisonment. On the second and every subsequent violation, the party offending shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not less than thirty (30) days nor more than three (3) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Any person convicted of violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 of this title after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be liable for an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any person convicted of violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 of this title after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be liable for an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

That part right there is what will keep me from buying any sort of automatic knife. I know I can legally own one, but if I had one I'd want to carry and with my unfortunate luck, I'd get caught with it and lose my CHL. I'm not too keen on that at all.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That part right there is what will keep me from buying any sort of automatic knife. I know I can legally own one, but if I had one I'd want to carry and with my unfortunate luck, I'd get caught with it and lose my CHL. I'm not too keen on that at all.

FYI pay particular attention to section 1280.1 The section says possesion of a firearms on school property but in reading the the full text it also applies to knives, just an FYI. Working where I do really sucks at times, I can't park in the parking lot.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI pay particular attention to section 1280.1 The section says possesion of a firearms on school property but in reading the the full text it also applies to knives, just an FYI. Working where I do really sucks at times, I can't park in the parking lot.

Yeah, but that doesn't apply to normal folding knives (depending on the judge who could define "any other offensive weapon" I guess):

OK-21-1272 said:
any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife,
sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of
the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles,
or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or
unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

My biggest problem with carrying an auto is that sometimes authorities seem to want to "make an example" of someone in a particular crime so they throw more laws at you than logically apply (i.e. trying to prove intent with your "weapon", etc.), so the misdemeanor isn't really the only trouble you can get into for carrying an auto.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Luckily for me I have no need to worry about the school provision. No kids now and never going to have them. But like the other payer stated, it seems like sometimes people get made into examples, and i'm almost positive I would end up being one of those people. Not that I'm a bad guy, just that I have a tendency to have bad luck. :-)

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered an Emerson CQC 15 from Knife Country USA for $182. This will be my first Emerson blade and my first new blade since I bought my Randall several, several years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom