1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Looking for a special place to shoot.

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by TheDoubleD, Apr 8, 2021.

1. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Went out towards Guymon a couple of years ago and looked at the full auto shoot site. They set the prairie on fire. Too far to go to fire 10 shots. I want to be able to shoot targets and that was not feasible there.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    How about public hunting lands?

Not during hunting season, of course... :D

3. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    These are not big cannons.

I am asking about all these except the big one on the end. You can see mortars and cannons.

The big goes out to a special range if I ever find one.

4. Mr.Glock

Mr.Glock Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    How far will they launch one?

5. PanhandleGlocker

PanhandleGlocker Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Today I learned I want a cannon

Cold Smoke, thor447 and Mr Sean like this.
  6. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    People often ask this question, and I don't mean to be flip, but the answer is just as far as any similar gun, Your Glocks will shoot further.

7. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I am going to open my range search up to 150 mile radius of Edmond. If you know of a range that might consider me, might talk to me-I am interested. Please contact me.

I want to find range that will let me shoot my cannons 100 yards at my targets. I have two goals. One is to get sight settings for my guns. Second I am looking for a good target/range for the guns. Those guns under 1 inch currently shoot at 25 yards on the B-17 targets. For the inch and golf ball guns I am think about shooting 50 yard and comparing the B-17 to the SR target.

Since January 2003 I have ran the blackpowder cannon and mortar board on Graybeards Outdoors. We have had a couple of small regional get togethers around the country over the years. I held two in 2009 and 2011 in Montana. There have been a couple in Kentucky and Virginia. We want to hold one big 20th anniversary shoot. I need to do some preparatory shooting for that event-such as find a target range combination for the middle size guns. GBO focus is generally on the smaller guns. But over the years we have come upon some larger guns. One guy found a 2/3 scale Parrot rifle barrel on Craig's list, I found a full size replica of a swivel gun barrel weighs about 90 pounds. Several of us built bowling ball mortars. And I don't mean cutting off the end of a pressure bottle and adding legs like a stokes mortar. Actual replica's of Mortars. Mine replicates a British 8 inch Siege mortar on a traveling carriage. We have one of the fellows down in Texas right now working on bowling mortar patterned after U.S. civil war 1841 Siege Mortar.

When I was working in South Africa I shot with South African Miniature Cannon Club. We shot small cannons under 75 caliber at 20 meters on the B-17 target. Their cannons were small like the CVA/Traditions "Old Iron Sides" and "Napoleon Civil war cannons. These little cannons were shot from a small platform on the ground. these cannon had no sights and were aimed by looking down the barrel. 50 points possible and winner usually determined by the X count.

I am getting a little carried away here, but I am an enthusiastic small cannon shooter. Here is a video from one of the Montana shoots I put on.

Right now I am just shooting blanks...

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. beardking

beardking Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have no affiliation with them nor any sort of idea if they'd be open to the cannons, but you might try Fouled Bore Precision in Ninnekah. They are a long range precision type of range, but maybe they'd be interested in your stuff as well. BUT, if they are, you have to post here when you go so I can come down and watch. :-)

https://www.fouledbore.com/

9. Uncle TK

Uncle TK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    The problem is the Backstop!
    (All rounds must in pack the backstop)

10. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My understanding is that anything larger than 50cal is not allowed on wma ranges.

MacFromOK likes this.