Looking for a special place to shoot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is the Backstop!
(All rounds must in pack the backstop)

There is no problem with the back stop. Cannon balls are low velocity and land in the back stop like any other projectile and usually not as deep. It is not unusual to find the cannon balls laying on the surface after firing. If your back stop is adequate for muzzle loading rifles they are adequate for muzzling loading cannon. A backstop for high velocity rifle is way more than adequate for muzzled loading cannon.

Every 1 inch shot I make with my cannon contributes 1500 grains lead to the club's lead recycling program.

Most Muzzleloading cannons have slower velocity the Blackpowder pistol rounds.

Mortar balls drop down on the ground, sometimes burying out sight, other times bouncing and rolling down range towards the backstop, stopping on the surface. This is good because mortar balls are zinc and can be picked up and shot again.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of distance are you wanting to shoot?

I used to skirmish a little with a ‘War of Northern Aggression’ reenactment outfit years ago. My wife put the kaibosh on my aspirations for a 22 pound rifled bronze Napolean. But what she don’t know....

Drop me a pm. We might be able to find a spot at the ranch to air out those smoke wagons.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I was about to suggest you contact okie shooters club north of Luther but the above suggestion sounds like a solid lead.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of distance are you wanting to shoot?

I used to skirmish a little with a ‘War of Northern Aggression’ reenactment outfit years ago. My wife put the kaibosh on my aspirations for a 22 pound rifled bronze Napolean. But what she don’t know....

Drop me a pm. We might be able to find a spot at the ranch to air out those smoke wagons.

Wow, sorry I missed this message, I have been a bit distracted these past few weeks, getting ready for the opening up the lake house for the summer...okay so I went fishing. I will get that PM off to you.

Last edited:

rockytoprj

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are more than welcome to shoot them at my place. The end of my 400 yd range is a abandoned well location that was cut into the side of a large hill. Should be able to get to 50 yrs across the old location. About 40 feet of hill elevation for the backstop. It's about a 100 miles from Edmond.
Rob

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gents who offered a place to shoot, thank you. Life, hot weather, vehicle and fire season has caught up to me. But I still have you on my radar.

I did roll out 6 cannons to fire celebratory blanks over the HOA pond the 4th. I recruit the neighborhood kids to help me with that. It is a bunch of work. But the kids enjoy it, and so do I.

Here is the Millers Pond Field Artillery Regiment.

Miller Pond Field Artillery  Brigade.jpg

To shoot these six guns, I have to make up cartridges for each one. That is a bit time consuming and when they are blank cartridges, a bit messy. Besides a correct weight of black powder they also get a equal volume of flour for filler.

cartridges2021 4th of july.JPG

The biggest obstacle to my getting out has been my truck. I have an F-150 I bought new in 2002. It has 244,000 miles on it. I probably should have replaced it 10 years ago. Could not come up with a good reason to get new truck. It was paid for, it was mechanically sound, it still looked good and I liked it, why replace it.. My lifestyle was changing so I didn't need a truck, but I still could use it for a errands, hunting season and pulling cannons, so it become a drive way Queen. This past year it required some expensive transmission maintenance, I debated getting a new truck or just repairs. I opted for repairs-the Cheaper option of the moment. Now 6 months later it needs more expensive maintenance-this time hydraulic master cylinder. Time to get rid of this old truck.

So until we work out the the issue of what to do, my hauling a cannon out somewhere to fire 6 shots over 2 hours is on hold. Don't worry the wife came up with this brilliant idea. Trade in the 2019 Edge with 10,000 miles and get us another F-150 so we can haul, cannons, UTV's and fishing boats. She says she feels safer in the larger truck traveling than in the smaller Edge. Gotta love these Okie Gals, so smart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom