Looking for qualified individuals for prep....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly Enough When I Read This To Myself In My Head It Sounded Exactly Like Obama, Which Led Me To Attempting To Read The Rest Of It in A Obama Accent, Didnt Work Out Right...

In my head was the mental image of this key being worn smooth on Maverick's keyboard:

www.thebookyard.com_images_dtaperiod.jpg

In all seriousness, Mav, your idea has a sound basis, but the logistics need a lot more attention.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mav the reason im not down with your plan is this; TRUST.

Say we meet and you think im a good guy. Ive got skills and experience prepping. I meet the rest of the crew a few times, they think im likeable enough. I donate my money and we get the land.

Even if we met up every weekend for a year, you will not know me, neither, will i know you or the rest of the "crew".

It takes alot of years to build trust.

Lastly heres a tidbit of reality for if SHTF. A real plan would be to build trust in a very select few people. Invest $8,000 each in prepping supplies, then when SHTF, you could go park you butt on that land.

If shtf there are NO RULES, you can go squat wherever you want. If you buy the land now, youve wasted your money because me and my crew might show up and squat.

Then you'll have issues, do you fight for your land and worthless deed, or do you get pushed out by a larger group.

Defending a permanant BOL is impossible, you'll be forced to move on.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it when someone starts one of these threads they always get testy when they are questioned?

Mav, one of the most important things to be able to do in this world is to look at what seems to be a good idea on the surface and look for every conceivable reason why it won't work. THEN work your way back out of those problems. Until you can do that you are destined to fail. People who fail to do this have funded the college funds and retirement plans of attorneys much dumber than you, me and half of Memphis put together.

The fact that I even have to spell that out to you tells me you are ... well ... either a fool or a snake-oil salesman.

You may not like what I said, or how I said it, but the fact of the matter is I made you uncomfortable. In your discomfort you chose to lash out at me, rather than take a hard look at what you are attempting to do. No skin off my teeth, mind you, but if you might take a step or two back and look long and hard at what you tried to accomplish with this thread and why it failed.

Now ... Gillman ... Let me know when you are ready to close on that town ... I've been dying to try out my new haz-mat suit ... :wink2: I have it on good authority that Lurker66 would be "in" too. Something about surviving wine with brown floaties in it ... :lmfao:

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bb...I have no idea what you are even talking about...I had a very simple and direct question that you somehow turned into an opportunity to provide life lessons from your vast well of knowledge. I hardly attacked you...read your posts and you would see it was you who threw the first grenade...failed? I hardly see how this is a failure...I simply was asking for interested parties...if there are none then no biggie...I thought of this as an avenue and you thought of it as an opportunity to dump all over it. I also mentioned that no negative posts were welcome...constructive ideas, yes...but not simply bashing. I have very little interest in online groups but this one peaked my interests a bit...the intrigue has all but worn off though...

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with UMB's. Your presentation of your idea is what is questionable. Not so much the idea itself.

It came off as, "Hi, my name is _____, please give me $8k and you can hangout with me and my pals." Or, that's how it came off to me.

I would also agree with Lurker that your money could be spent elsewhere. If you're really worried about a SHTF scenario, I think land will be plentiful and the least of your worries. I could be wrong though.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SMS ....no...I will not abandon my duties...my family will go and I will follow behind when possible...

So let's keep playing this out. Think about what you just told me, a perspective member:

I'm going to sign up as a member of a group, help purchase land, help get it ready in some fashion to sustain life (which will take even more financial investment) and then, when the balloon goes up we will inhabit the location (if it's not taken already like Lurker suggested) and begin "surviving". Surviving, or whatever we will call it in a no-kidding failure of societal structure will take 24/7 work...actual real, bloody knuckle work that a lot of modern folks don't do any more as a hard skill, especially cops and us military guys. Gardening (real, food producing gardening not backyard hobby stuff), hygeine, tending to livestock, tending to small kids, 24/7 security, cloverleaf patrols, LP/OPs, foraging, improving living and defensive structures, Gathering and cutting firewood, preparing 3 or more meals a day, mending clothes, caring for the sick and wounded etc....

And now you just told me that when I show up with my family, you and a bunch of other able bodied men/women won't be there to help because they cannot leave their posts? I'm sure your wife is just as bad-ass as mine, but everyone has their limits. Caring for two kids, especially if they are little, is a full-time job by itself. She isn't going to be as near as productive or helpful doing all those other things I listed as a functioning/complete family unit would be. The burden therefore shifts to me. In addition to caring for my family and doing the extra stuff that will be required, My wife and I will have to carry some of the load created by your absence. Why would I sign up for that when we both paid an equal share? If we were lifelong friends, partners on the job, or former battle buddies, maybe, but to expect that kind of deal between total strangers is iffy.

I really think some expectation management is in order. If you already have 5 people, find a smaller even more secluded place to hide your family away and find one or two solid individuals that you absolutely trust to help care for them until you can join back up with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom