Looking to maybe deer hunt for the first time this season. Help!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
smartest thing to do is get hooked up with someone experienced.
this will greatly increase your chances of being successful.

don't worry so much about which gun as almost any modern medium size round will do the job. if possible borrow a rifle to find out what works.

what you do need to worry about is shot placement. do a bit of research on deer anatomy. read a few field dressing articles.

this sounds basic but be sure to sight in your rifle long before you go. use the same batch of ammo, so save a few rounds.

scent is everything! deer's scenting abilities is it's primary defense.
most inexperienced hunters do not understand the importance of above statement.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as scent goes, you can buy special detergents, special deodorants, special scent-hiding clothing, and sprays to conceal your scent...to a certain degree....None of this completely kills your scent, but does work to a certain degree...Or...you can just hunt with the wind in your face like hunters have been doing for hundreds of years before the scent-killing market ever started. You can even splash a little Brut on if you think you might be running across some ladies out in the field. Granted, if the wind shifts on you, or a deer slips in behind you, you're busted. I, myself, have always just hunted the wind, and I sure wouldn't recommend a newbie investing in all that crap before you knew you were going to stay with it.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas so far. I have been reading and watching all the videos I can find on hunting/processing. I'd like to find someone to "apprentice" with, but don't really know anyone who hunts around here. Please continue to share your experience and tips with me!

As for public or private, I would love to hunt private, but don't know any private land and am still a student sadly who can't afford a lease. Hell, I've gotta start saving every penny just to hopefully get a rifle in time.

Also as far as buying a bunch of specialized equipment, yeah, that's not something I can do to start out either, the whole broke student thing and all. But I figure hunting has been around a lot longer than all this new stuff.

Another question I have... I live in a neighborhood and drive a sedan. I figure if worst comes to worst I can rent a truck, but can you process a deer at the site or should you hang/age it for a while? I don't think my neighbors would really approve of me hanging a carcass in the yard. Can you age the individual cuts of meat or should you do the whole carcass?

I will probably have a lot more questions as I learn more... please bare with me :)

hunterdeere

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question I have... I live in a neighborhood and drive a sedan. I figure if worst comes to worst I can rent a truck, but can you process a deer at the site or should you hang/age it for a while? I don't think my neighbors would really approve of me hanging a carcass in the yard. Can you age the individual cuts of meat or should you do the whole carcass?
First, you may want to check the regulations, but I think you still have to check the carcass in at a check station, so I do not think you can process it in the field, not sure.
Second, on the aging, there are probably as many answers to this as there is hunters, but here goes mine. When I started hunting over 20 years ago, I always heard that you needed to hang a deer to get good quality steaks. The only problem with that is deer have no marbleing in their muscles. The reason to age or hang an animal is to give the marbleing time to break down the muscle fibers and make it more tender. No marbleing, no reason to hang. I now try to cut up a deer as soon as possible. If I can, I cut mine up the same day. I have found that the best thing you can do, is do not cut the bones, and then trim off all of the fat, tendons, etc. If it is white or silver, cut it off and throw it away. Those seem to be the things that hold the gamey taste that most people find offensive. I fed some steaks to a butchers son the other day, and he would not admit that mine was better than his steaks, but he sure asked a lot of questions about how I butchered mine. As I said, there are lots of opinions on this subject, this is mine.
:contract:

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, you may want to check the regulations, but I think you still have to check the carcass in at a check station, so I do not think you can process it in the field, not sure.
Second, on the aging, there are probably as many answers to this as there is hunters, but here goes mine. When I started hunting over 20 years ago, I always heard that you needed to hang a deer to get good quality steaks. The only problem with that is deer have no marbleing in their muscles. The reason to age or hang an animal is to give the marbleing time to break down the muscle fibers and make it more tender. No marbleing, no reason to hang. I now try to cut up a deer as soon as possible. If I can, I cut mine up the same day. I have found that the best thing you can do, is do not cut the bones, and then trim off all of the fat, tendons, etc. If it is white or silver, cut it off and throw it away. Those seem to be the things that hold the gamey taste that most people find offensive. I fed some steaks to a butchers son the other day, and he would not admit that mine was better than his steaks, but he sure asked a lot of questions about how I butchered mine. As I said, there are lots of opinions on this subject, this is mine.
:contract:

Thanks. I read about the fat, tendon, and bone causing the gaminess. But like you said I've also read that it needs to hang to allow the tissue to start to break down. I suppose the preference of age/don't age will come with experience. I didn't know about the check-station part. That makes life a little more difficult for me. I don't really want to pay someone to process the deer, I'd like to learn myself. But I can't really do it at my house. I suppose I could try in my garage. But I suppose I should get a deer before worrying about that part. For that matter I should worry about getting a rifle first, haha.

hunterdeere

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to try cutting it up yourself. I usually skin mine in my garage and start cutting off the muscle groups. Then I take it inside, my girls cut it into steaks and trim off the white and silver. Then we seal it in a tilia foodsaver bag. Then just throw it in the freezer. Will last a long time that way.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just start and add to it.

Everyone has their 'favorite' gun but in reality at .243 and up to 7mm or .375 are used. U can't go wrong with a good gun as long as it will shoot straight. i would not put much $$ in a starter gun. the gun you buy may last you a life time or you may trade many times before you find the right gun for you. I would go with the smaller calibers for hunging in OK. a 7mm mag really kicks.

- i have seen good guns with good prices now. i think around hunging season there is more of a demand and they usually go up.

- if u find a gun you like, search the internet for a 'review' on that gun. u can usually find out if it is considered a bad gun pretty fast.

- don't be afraid to buy a gun and try it. u can resale it pretty easy.

- see if u can go with someone

- get in shape - be able to walk long distances with lots of clothing on. be able to get up and down steep banks, have some upper body strength cause of you have to pull the deer very far it is a job. if your in shape, it can be enjoyable. if you are out of shape then it can be a hard day.

- i would probably hire a guide to start, someone that would not only get you on deer but talk to you about it.

- hunting from a stand increases you odds but stands get stolen from public land.

- a lease is the way to go. looks on craigs list and the paper and there are leases being offered now and maybe you can find one that needs one or two more guys. if you team up, let them know you are completely new.

- buy what equipment you can affort this year and add to it each year.

- read all you can. there is a LOT of info out there.

- there are usually good sales on deer stuff after the season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I read about the fat, tendon, and bone causing the gaminess. But like you said I've also read that it needs to hang to allow the tissue to start to break down. I suppose the preference of age/don't age will come with experience. I didn't know about the check-station part. That makes life a little more difficult for me. I don't really want to pay someone to process the deer, I'd like to learn myself. But I can't really do it at my house. I suppose I could try in my garage. But I suppose I should get a deer before worrying about that part. For that matter I should worry about getting a rifle first, haha.

I don't age my venison for tenderness, but after cutting the muscle groups off the bone, I'll put them in an Ice chest, making sure to MIX the ice in with the meat. I just threw some bags in on top of it one time, and the meat on bottom spoiled, as it didn't get cold enough, and it was a warm early season bow hunt.

In about two days, your ice chest will be full of blood that has came from the meat. I'm thinking that helps the taste a little, like it needs any help. I love venison.:D

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. For the rifle I'm looking at probably a Savage or a Tikka T3. I've done quite a bit of reading on rifles. I'm mainly looking to get a decent gun at a students price: CHEAP :) .

As far as a lease goes, I just can't afford one right now, even splitting one with a couple people. I have to justify to myself every cent I spend. I figure I can start on public and if I get into it I've got a lifetime to "upgrade". As for being in shape, I need to work on that :) . That's something I need to do anyway though. A few years ago I could run marathons... now I can run my mouth.

Keep the advice coming!

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If money is an obstacle there are ways around it. I work on a pretty tight budget. Public hunting is not a curse. I hunted Oklmulgee public hunting and shot a decent buck. Leases are nice but not necessary. Nothing is easy. Get out and spend some time and effort in the woods. As far as skinning and preparing your own deer, you can do it in your own garage. Between myself and my boys we can put up to four deer a year in the freezer. There's no way I'm paying someone else to process that many deer. I've actually skinned and cut up my own on the floor of my garage. Although I prefer to have it hung up first. I just skin it and cut all the meat off the bone and throw it in an ice chest of ice. Then I take it in the kitchen and finish cutting and bagging it. I label and put it in the freezer. If you cut up enough deer you will learn from your own mistakes. You should study books or videos for a start but over time things will get easier. Hunting can become a passion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom