Looks like I need a new chronograph.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it is a sad story. Flew up to Milwaukee last week to go to the Area 5 championship with Robbie and we both DQed because of low power ammo. We used seperate chronos but both the same type and brand to check our loads and both thought we were well above the specs but both tested out at 121 power factor. We had shot 3 stages before the chrono and decided to blow off the rest of the match and go to Chicago and see the sights for the rest of the day. It was a long trip to have that happen. Did get to go to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and see the U-505 German WWII Sub. It was an expensive lesson to learn.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it is a sad story. Flew up to Milwaukee last week to go to the Area 5 championship with Robbie and we both DQed because of low power ammo. We used seperate chronos but both the same type and brand to check our loads and both thought we were well above the specs but both tested out at 121 power factor. We had shot 3 stages before the chrono and decided to blow off the rest of the match and go to Chicago and see the sights for the rest of the day. It was a long trip to have that happen. Did get to go to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and see the U-505 German WWII Sub. It was an expensive lesson to learn.
You might want to ckeck your loads here again with a few different Chronos first. I can bring mine to USSA when ever you need it......did they elevate the barrel first before shooting? Did they pull the bullet for weight?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elevation (as in feet above sea level) and relative humidity make a difference too. Were there a number of people PF DQ'd? If so, was there any pattern on where they were from or other variables?

TonerGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What brand of chrony's are you using.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We both used the Shooting Chrony F1. There did not seem to be a pattern on failure. There was only a couple people failed before us and we were the third group through. He did not elevate the barrel before the shots and I wish I had asked him to do that. I had checked my loads back in the early spring but Robbie checked his the day before the match and loaded that night. We were not much different in elevation but it was very humid there. Both were using J&K 147 gr bullets that weighed out at 147.4 grs. Both using 3.3 gr of Solo 1000 and Federal SP primers. On our chronys we were both getting nothing lower than 890 fps. They fired 7 rounds of both our bullets and average was 821 fps.

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the ammo hotter temperature wise when you took the readings before? I haven't ever seen too much swing in it, but I have heard some powders will swing quite a bit if the ammo is cold one day and hot/sitting in the sun the next.

Trevor

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you changed lots of Solo 1000 since you chrono'd last? There is a "cold" lot of it out there right now. It can make +5 PF more velocity when the muzzle is elevated and the slide tapped (to settle powder) before each shot. Higher humidity would likely equal slow velocity.

Sounds like it could be a combination of things.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a new CED M2 today and am going to line them up and see how they compare. I wish I would have asked the guy to raise the gun and tap on the last 3 shots but I did not think about it. It is a fairly full load of powder though and I would not think that would make enough difference but I will try that out to with the new chrono and try to report back on it.

Rob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me, he will not raise the gun up, I went minor at Area 4 with a "borrowed gun" my gun went 169 PF, before the extractor broke, with the borrowed gun the first three rounds were well below the min. He asked what I wanted to do and I asked him to raise the gun up and his response was " do you shoot it that way?" even though I said sometimes he didnt see the humor and shot the other three rounds which were no better than the first. Average PF was 162, barrels do make a diffrence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom