Looks like I need a new chronograph.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea but you would never have gotten to see the U-505 if you hadn't had this screw up. I am just glad we screwed up the same and didn't have to wait on the other one to finish.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going through the IDPA Rule Addendum released yesterday and they showed this as being "lanuage added". However, I went back to the rule book and it is in fact already there.
It's a little confusing stating "Where language has been added to existing rules, the existing language will appear as Italicized in red."

I beleive that they posted the entire page so you could print it out and paste it into your existing rule book.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there done that.

I had recently moved and had nothing setup prior to the match. So a bud said he would give me ammo if I would make the match. He travels to the larger matches and has no problems with his ammo or the chrony. I felt worse case that we would chrony the load from his gun first. Well he bailed on the match. From a 5" gun that the Chrony operator was using I got a nasty SD and about a 156/7 PF. From my 4.5" bbl I got a 162/3 PF and decent SDs. My bud shoots a 5" gun. One would think something was up with that bbl the chorony operator was using eh? I was not a happy camper. Since the chrony operator followed the rules I too left; and went shopping for primers.

Sucks. My lesson - just make sure you chrony and make PF from your own gun.

BTW VV320 for minor with a 147 gr bullet is a sweet load also if you start to think of a different powder.

sb

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to think of a different powder for sure. I bought an electronic scale to make sure mine was accurate and got the new chrono. Been working on loads this week. Loaded 10 rds each of Solo 1000 with 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9. The best I can get is with the 3.9 and I am only getting 126 power factor. I would like to go to about 135 to be safe but am thinking I may be getting the cases too full of powder. Anybody got specs on how much is too much with Solo and a 147 gr cast bullet. I am about to give up on the stuff. You think I got a bad batch of powder?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to think of a different powder for sure. I bought an electronic scale to make sure mine was accurate and got the new chrono. Been working on loads this week. Loaded 10 rds each of Solo 1000 with 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9. The best I can get is with the 3.9 and I am only getting 126 power factor. I would like to go to about 135 to be safe but am thinking I may be getting the cases too full of powder. Anybody got specs on how much is too much with Solo and a 147 gr cast bullet. I am about to give up on the stuff. You think I got a bad batch of powder?

I've read over on Enos that there are some wide lot to lot variations with Solo 1000. But I've never used it so that means nothing. I'm making PF in my M&P 9Pro consistently with 3.5 grains WST, J&K 147's @ 1.120" OAL. I've tested them on 3 different chronos from about 30 to 95 degrees and they average about 130PF from my gun. I bet that between me, Mitch and Rusty we've burned 25 pounds of it in the last year!

Edit to add: Stay away from Titegroup and Clays with the lead 147's. If you get anywhere near PF your bullets will tumble. Rusty had this problem with Titegroup in a factory barrel AND a Lone Wolf, Mitch had it happen in his Glock (same load), and I saw a girl at the H&H match that had every shot tumble using Clays. Mitch and Rusty switched to WST and the problem vanished.

Lately I tried some N320 with Berry's in .38 Special. I can state that I have never seen a cleaner burning powder. I know that with lead bullets it's gonna run dirtier, but I don't know if you would ever have to clean your gun running plated or jacketed. Just a wipe down and oil once in awhile and I think it would run from now on. It keeps the revolver ALOT cooler than normal too. Thanks Glocktogo! This N320 might be worth a try in the 9mm but check for tumbling.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the N320 is what Jay Mackey recommended that I use in 9mm. I may keep using the Solo for practice and local matches and try the Vit and see what it does. I am going to try to find a lb somewhere.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the N320 is what Jay Mackey recommended that I use in 9mm. I may keep using the Solo for practice and local matches and try the Vit and see what it does. I am going to try to find a lb somewhere.

Check my edits above. And let me know how the N320 works. I've got a brand new 4lb jug of WST so I can't change just yet...

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used the titegroup with no tumbling but it sure smokes a lot. I usually only use it with the Berrys plated bullets. I just talked to my son in Wisconsin and he has the same lot of Solo as me and he is getting 138 pf with 3.6 gr of the same powder in his Glock. Maybe the cooler temps help.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Robbie/Lonnie

I've always been able to make minor with 3.3gr under a 147gr bullet.

I think your batch of powder is off, and while I've heard about temperature variation the amount you're experiencing is insane. My 40 loads which I put together in winter at 175 pf are still running 172 pf at 100+ degrees.

I really want to try some 320, but I am scared that I'll not be able to replenish my supply and I hate the possibility that I may have to keep standing backorders or buy $5-600 worth of powder when it's available.

Just look at the guys over on enos, there are people lining up to get 50-100 lbs of SP-2 cause it's great and not readily available. I just don't want to end up having a powder that needs the dedication one puts into a crack habit to keep around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom