M-14 owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any owners of m14 style rifles? I bought a new unfired Norinco M14s paid a little over $1000 shipped. Kinda high maybe but the USGI stock was worth $100 to me..
This has a chrome lined barrel, and forged receiver. I had Springfield on layaway but really wanted a Chrome Lined barrel, for no real reason.Found out the Springfield did not have a Chromed lined barrel so I used the money towards ammo.

I heard the chinese recievers and op rods are excellent but bolts can be soft..Is there a at home test to check for bolt softness?
Also best place to get replacement springs as some are junk ive read.Which ones need replaced?

Where is the best place to get 20rd mags?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the norinco M14s is a good rifle. you are right about the receiver and oprod. you should have the headspace checked before you shoot it and be on the lookout for a GI bolt to replace the chinese bolt. a good place to read up and ask questions about all of this is at www.m14tfl.com

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only mags you should buy are CMI.

http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1318

You probably should change the oprod spring.

I don't know how you would check the bolt hardness but you should check headspace, as long as headspace is ok shoot the rifle with the chinese bolt. Once headspace gets long replace the bolt with a GI bolt (a gunsmith will most likely have to do this)

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replacing the bolt is usually all that is necessary. I have heard of guys who had the whole action heat treated by a place in Dallas.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_M14004.jpg

Smith Enterprises used to do a lot of work on the chinese rifles. The Firing Line is a great source of info.

Start looking for that bolt now. They are not as many around as there were just a few years ago. Also M14 extractors. Most folks sell you a Garand extractor which will work but is different that the 14's.

Picture above is from a few years ago when I sold parts that I picked up at shows and resold on the net for a profit. Helped finance my LRB 14

Latest posts

Top Bottom